Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-formatted---horrible Graphics Performance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luke318is

Luke318is

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:28 AM

Almost a year ago i built a pretty good gaming system. I am fairly good with computers and i keep it clean and simple. I find that once per year i usually need to backup and do a re-format to speed up the system.

I noticed that over time the graphics in Battlefield 2142 were getting laggier, as they also were in Oblivion. It suddenly went way downhill, so i figured it was time for a format.

I reformatted and updated windows (as much as it would let me without having a genuine copy) and then tried installing my games.

I found that oblivion was stalling right at the end of the installation, but after the game WAS installed, it just wouldent make the finishing touches (maybe installing direct X)

Then oblivion gave me an error message for not being able to find "d3dx9_27.dll"

i searched google and came up with THIS PAGE

So it seems a few people were having my problem. I installed the dll, and the game worked.

BUT it worked horribly, the graphics looked pretty, but my framerate was unplayable.My system specs are better than the "reccommended specs" for the game. Plus, the game worked great before.

Anyways, same sort of problems with BAttlefield 2142.

The graphics card is a "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS"

Maybe i am missing some sort of DirectX stuff? i tried downloading direct X and it didnt seem to make it much better.
Also tried re-installing drivers, and rolling back the system to the state it was in RIGHT after the format. Still no luck

Any Ideas???

Thanks folks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:38 AM

Did you read this
and this?

Further I would uninstall Dirext and re-install latest version

#3 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

i will try these recommendations right now.

thanks.

#4 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:18 AM

installed a few different drivers, no noticable difference, way way worse than when i first bought this comp.

i wonder WTF could mess up my vidcard like this, maybe card is fried, is there a benchmark site or something to analyze the card?

how do i fully uninstall directX?

anyone have a link to the latest version (i cant get it from microsoft, im not genuine lol)
although something tells me this wont fix it either......

Edited by Luke318is, 12 December 2006 - 05:51 AM.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

I don't know whether having a genuine copy of Windows or not will do harm.
What kind of temperature is the card running at?

What i would do is the following :

download latest directx9 and videocard drivers(do not install!)

- remove all drivers you previously installed
- remove drectX
- via hardware manager remove the video card.

reboot

via add hardware manager re-install video cad with latest drivers and install directx

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

installed a few different drivers, no noticable difference, way way worse than when i first bought this comp.

i wonder WTF could mess up my vidcard like this, maybe card is fried, is there a benchmark site or something to analyze the card?

how do i fully uninstall directX?

anyone have a link to the latest version (i cant get it from microsoft, im not genuine lol)
although something tells me this wont fix it either......

Maybe some of this will help.

DirectX Eradicator is designed to safely remove the DirectX runtime core component from Windows operating systems.

It gives you the power to install and uninstall any version of DirectX as you wish.

Here are some key features of "DirectX Eradicator":

- Full uninstall support for DirectX 2.0 to 9.0c
- Complete removal of all DirectX files and folders
- Full Registry cleanup; CD rollback option
- WinXP Support
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...radicator.shtml

DirectX downloads: (to 9.0b)
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=directx

Haven't found an alternate download link to 9.0c yet, but they're out there.

I might also suggest that when you do get it fixed, find a driver backup program to archive your now working drivers for future reinstalls. I use Driver Genius. It backs up everything and/or just 3rd party drivers. It'll do normal file backups and also backup as an .exe. With the .exe backup you just click it and you get the GUI to pick which ones you want to restore. Driver Genius doesn't have to be reinstalled to use the backups.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

It's possible that some of the updates to the different games were designed to take advantage of updates issued by Microsoft (such as bug fixes in DirectX, etc). As such, your unpatched copy of XP may be causing this.

If you rely on your system as much as I do, it's much easier to buy a legit version and have done with it. I'd expect that we'll see the prices on XP start to fall in the near future due to the release of Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

Its weird...it seemed to work a lot better before.

and oblivion is unpatched, right off the cd, its HORRIBLE

im considering going out any buying a TOP NOTCH vidcard from future shop, testing, and then returning it.

im doing the directx removal with Eradicator in a few mins, lets see if that fixes something

could my RAM be faulty???

#9 Luke318is

Luke318is
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

the eradicator program said it cant work with this version of windows, and asked for a restart.

i reinstalled vidcard and drivers, and reinstalled directx 9.0c
still no use. The game starts off smooth, but within 10 seconds, with some movement and loading it lags out. at first it seems like its fixed, then goes down the tubes.

very weird...maybe its a RAM problem?
is there a system diognistic tool i can use?

anyone know how i can remove directx?

Edited by Luke318is, 12 December 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

RAM can be tested with this free app: http://www.memtest86.com/ Follow the directions exactly and let the test run for at least 2 passes (overnight is better).

DirectX removal search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...G=Google+Search

Can you upgrade to DX9c and then use the Eradicator?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users