Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Cd/dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:47 AM

my toshiba cd/dvd burner suddenly developed a problem?it will only burn cds and not dvds.when i try to burn a dvd it freezes.i have tried with dvd-r and dvd-rw.any ideas?oh and also i just recently installed a new motherboard,but i think i have burned dvds since the,now just this last week is when the problem started.it doesnt matter which proggie i use to burn em.

Edited by acidburned, 12 December 2006 - 02:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

Oh wow! Do I feel your pain or what!? I spent 4 hours on this problem in the Charlotte, NC airport trying to copy pics of my grandkids to a CD. Just as we boarded the plane I found the solution.

Toshiba uses a drive that can only function as a CD or as a DVD - not both. So you've got to switch between the modes to get the functionality. To do this, got to My Computer and right click on the CD/DVD drive and select "Properties".

Next, select the last tab (it says something like recording or CD recording. In that tab will be a check box to enable CD recording. Uncheck the box, and click OK to exit the dialog. I can't recall if it needs a reboot or not. You'll use this "trick" to switch between CD and DVD recording.

This presumes that you've loaded the appropriate software to run the DVD drive from your Toshiba disks.

If this doesn't fix it, then further troubleshooting is called for.

Edited by usasma, 12 December 2006 - 10:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

ill give that a try.it all worked fine till awhile ago and i have never set anything on my toshiba when i first installed it a month ago.then i upgraded my motherboard and its been since then.ill let you know what happens.thnxs

#4 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

tried that,but there wasnt a last tab that said anything about recording.its only a month old,could it be bad,if it just burns cds and not dvds? could it possibly be my dvds? any other ideas?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:30 AM

We'll need more info about your system (make and model) before we can suggest other things.

When you reloaded your system, did you install the Toshiba drivers?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

hmmm i dont think i did. my system is a mainboard mother,amd 2200 processor and 512mb ram.1 memorex dvd rom and 1 toshiba dvd burner.c media 3d sound card.i dont know the graphics card.where would i get the toshiba drivers? oh and winxp pro.

Edited by acidburned, 14 December 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

The Toshiba drivers should be included with the CD's that came with the system. Toshiba uses a "strange" DVD-RAM drive that needs these drivers to function properly.

#8 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

hmmm i dont remember any cd when installed, ill have to look around thnxs for the replies and help.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

I believe that they are included on the Toshiba image that they give you (I got 2 CD/DVD's with my M45).

As I recall, there were several options during the install routine that could have affected this.

Have you checked your Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) for any red x's or yellow !'s?

#10 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

i checked no yellows or red xs.thanks for your help john.i solved the problem by buying a new dvd dual layer burner a liteon.and i also changed it so my burner is the master and dvd rom as slave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users