Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flat Panel Monitors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oward

Oward

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

I am interested in a flat panel monitor. Do you have any suggestions and what characteristics should I be looking for in choosing a new monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:14 PM

Personally I think you should by a flat panel monitor only if it aesthetically important and to save room. There are some advantages, such as taking up less space, reduces eye strain, and reduced power requirements, but tube monitors (CRTs) still give a better picture.

If a flat panel is that important to you, though, here are some recommendations on what to look for.

Interfaces - The interface between your monitor and your computer is important. A lot of new video cards support digital interfaces that you can connect a flat panel to. These digital interfaces will provide a truer signal to the monitor. If your video card does not support it, though, it is not worth upgrading just for that.

Pixel Refresh Response Time - If you plan to play games on your computer, it is important to have a decent refresh response time. Most affordable Flat Panels have a response rate in the 40+ range. In order to play games without having any display issues, you generally want a screen that is generally 40 ms or less. If you can find one that is 25ms and is affordable, then that is even better.

Viewing Angle - Make sure you have a wide enough viewing angle so that if you are looking at your monitor from the side, you do not just see black. In general higher viewing angles are better than lower ones.

Contrast ratio - At a minimum you want your display to have a contrast ration of 200:1. Higher rations such as 300:1 or 400:1 are obviously better. It all depends on the budget.

Resolution - Make sure your flat panel supports many resolutions. you do not want a monitor that will have trouble change its resolution as many programs/games run in different resolutions.

Hope this helps.

#3 robshanahan

robshanahan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:29 AM

I agree with Mrsnausage that you should only go with a flat panel if you need the desk space. If that is important to you, the features he lists are very important, but the best tools to use to decide between monitors are your eyes. You are the one who will be using it, so go someplace with lots of display monitors (not sure where you are, but bestbuy, compusa or someplace similar) and see how they look to you.

#4 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:29 PM

Excellent Point and welcome to the website.

#5 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

OK this is an old thread but for anyone reading it now my vote is for the flat screen. "Reduces eye strain" is the number one reason. Everything, text or image, have crisper edges than on the old CRT. Also colors are better. Never could get a good green on any of the old ones.

But the best improvement you can make is size of screen. It is hard to believe the difference between 15" & 17". (Although I draw the line at seeing my bills in 19" living color!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users