Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Failure; Can't Reboot Pass Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pors

pors

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

Had a short power failure today which obviously shut down my computer. When I turned it back on I can't get pass the windows welcome screen, just keeps scrolling. I am currently in Safe mode with networking. Have tried to do a system restore but did not take care of the issue. Have had power failures before but never encountered this problem when restarting computer.

I'm starting to have withdrawals and also need to do some real work too. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

If you're networked, unplug all the cables, then boot it up and see what happens. Sometimes you will need to power it off then back on again to get it to load properly. Try this a few times and see what happens.

Also, do you have your computers on a surge protector?..... I hope you say yes..

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

Unplugging the computer for several minutes can also fix some weird stuff. Might also try the reset button on the back of your case if you have one.

Edited by mommabear, 12 December 2006 - 08:57 AM.

#4 pors

pors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

Ok, I've tried the above suggestions and still no luck. Can't get pass the windows screen still. Surge protector? Thought so, but when I asked my husband he said no (not too happy about that). Any other ideas?

Thanks.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

The power surge may have corrupted some files. But, it's not certain.

Since you can get into Safe Mode..... look at your Device Manager and see if anything is out if place. You'll know it if you see a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Also, go to Start,,, Run,,, and type in msconfig. When you get there, on the General tab, select the Diagnostic Startup radio selection. Then reboot the computer in the normal fashion.

If it still doesn't load up, then you've probably gotten some corrupted files. If it does load up, then probably something you've installed is corrupted, and is hindering Windows from loading properly.

If it does load properly after doing the above,,, go back to the msconfig, and set it to Normal Startup.. and then reboot... if the problem comes back, then something in your startup is causing it.

#6 pors

pors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

Well, unfortunately, for whatever reason I can no longer get into Safe mode at all. We've also tried getting assistance from Dell and they had no suggestions other than reinstalling everything. At this point we are trying to figure out how to copy my important data to either cds or an external hard drive in order to preserve the data before we attempt to reinstall. Dell said that may not work either. Dell also recommended sending the computer to a data retrieval company which I assume would be time consuming. This makes it difficult because I use this computer everyday in our business and personal finances. Not sure what is going to happen or how we are going to make it happen.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

Data retrieval is expensive! Best Buy charges $250+ for simple recovery, 530+ for more complicated, and $1600 for recovery in a clean room.

At this point it would probably be best to slave the drive to another system and save your data that way.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

usasma wrote,

At this point it would probably be best to slave the drive to another system and save your data that way.

I would definitely take this route 1st.

Also, you'd be better off taking your chances after you backed up your data to another hard drive, then spend less than it will take you to take it to a shop...... and just buy the softwares from online, because your problems may happen again at some point in time.

Edited by Walkman, 15 December 2006 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users