Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Is Slow And Freezes Constantly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stone2498

stone2498

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop running Windows XP Home. The system is showing 53 gb of c drive capacity with about 40 gb of available space and 512 mg of RAM. The system constantly freezes up and I have to hold the power button down to shut down the system and restart it. A lot of times after I start the system up I will click on the Internet Explorer icon and nothing will happen. The hourglass will appear for a brief second and then nothing happens. Some of the things that I have done to try to fix these problems are as follows: I installed a registry repair program which when I ran it the first time it found over 200 problems. I ran it again tonight and it showed over 100 problems. The Acer computers come with a dual partitioned drive. I have Norton Partition Magic and I was able to repartition the drive into one large one instead of two small ones. This did not help either. Programs installed on the laptop include: Microsoft Office Pro 2003, Targas docking station, in addition to web based database programs. Any ideas???

I was thinking about transferring all files and settings to another Acer that I have and reformatting the drive on the problem computer. I have a USB cable that I connected to both laptops but the file and settings transfer wizard never finds the connection. I don't know if I have the correct cable or if I am plugging it into the right place. Please Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

There are a lot of possible reasons for this happening to your computer. My 1st guess is that if you've found about 100 problems with your registry or such, your best approach is to try to fix them 1st. You may need more tools than what you have.

If you have that many registry issues and they haven't fixed, that will in fact cause that sort of problem.

Post back what tools you have so we'll know the best approach to take. Also, I'll post some FREE tools that you should download and use.

Because of the problems you're having right now, I wouldn't do a file/transfer (settings),, because you may transfer the problem over to the other hard drive, or the same one that's been repartitioned.

You also need to do a couple of different virus scans and check out the results.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

Please check your Event Viewer for errors. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 stone2498

stone2498
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:08 AM

On the Event Viewer there were numerous errors:
-Application Error (Event # 1000) (Occurred Many Times) (These were listed as Errors)
-Userenv (Event # 1517) (Occurred Many Times) (These were listed as Warnings)
-Application Hang (Event # 101) (Listed as Errors)
-Microsoft Fax (Event # 32066) (Listed as Warning)

#5 stone2498

stone2498
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for helping out guys! I am learning a little more about these bleeping things each day, but it never seems to be enough. I ran the registry repair, it said it fixed the problems but I will run it again today and see how many show up again. What other tools would I need? Also, I have the AVG free software from Grisoft and I ran that virus scan. Do I need something more than that? These problems suck, I have been on Internet Explorer 7 all week and I keep on freezing up and having to restart completely. We were running Firefox until the new IE came out, but Firefox was just as bad.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

Right click on the Application Errors and the Application Hang, then select Properties. See if you can find a common thread between them - if so, it's likely that that's the program that's causing your problem.

Try uninstalling it, then install the latest version available from the manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users