Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transfer Protocol - File Transfer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 veronikaka

veronikaka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi There,

We are a developing photographic company and are in the process of setting up photographes in different areas in our state.

We require them to send through their images at the end of each working day in their original size. They will be transfering approximately 200-300mb per day per photographer.

I have looked into FILE HOSTING sites. They are way too slow to transfer this size. We are based in Australia and most of the companies are in America which could contribute to this speed. If the internet cuts out or looses connection, this would interfere with the transfer

We need the images to be uploaded over night and ready for processing the following morning.

I have lookng into WEB HOSTING. Dont really understand too much of it but im sure it would be much like file hosting and the speed would be slow.

I have been told that setting up an FTP on the office computer. It hasnt been explained fully and before it is set up, i would like a second opinion... and third, and fourth. Hell, as much opinions as possible!!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

If chatting would be an easier way of communicating, my msn is ilonkaka@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from some of you soon :thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

You have a couple of options to do it.

Option 1. Create a server on your end, and setup an ftp access account. (this can be complicated)
Option 2. Pay for a web server, and setup an ftp account for the people to upload the images to.
Option 3. Use a torrent client (utorrent), and when the torrent file is emailed to you, you can download the files.

Option 1 will require you to know how to setup a web server, and although it isn't too hard, it can be a task at hand.

Option 2 is probably the easiest to do, but you then have to determine if your web host is going to allow you the proper bandwidth you'll need. But from what you mentioned, probably every web hosting would do.

Option 3 to me would be best in cases where you'll not have to be worried about bandwidth issues with hosting companies. The downfall with option 3 is that the photographers will need to know how to make .torrent files. Actually it'll take about 5 minutes to learn. It's really that easy to do. After they make the .torrent files, all they have to do is email them to you and you just download the torrent file to your computer, double-click on it, and it'll load up to be downloaded. You too, will need the torrent client. uTorrent is the best (to me),, and it'll create torrents for you too.

Once you get the hang of torrent clients, you'll be able to make, send, and receive your files in no time at all.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

I have found FTP connections to be too slow, and there's too many folks out there trying to crack into FTP servers.

My alternative is to use pcAnywhere - it's faster, supports compression, and has encryption options to protect your data. And, it's easy to use.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users