Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fullmetaldog1

fullmetaldog1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

Hey I have no clue what to do I believe i have 512 mb of ddr memory but my computer always pops up with a alert about virtual memory any help would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

What precisely does this alert say? And is it the same one each time?
Virtual memory is a combination of the RAM memory and your "swap file" which Windows uses to supplement the RAM by storing data on your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 fullmetaldog1

fullmetaldog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

yes its the same each time it says virtual memory is low its changing or something like that

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:06 AM

Is your hard drive nearly full? If so this is likely the cause of your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:15 AM

I would say to get arround this problem you will need to increase the size of your paging file. This can be done my opening System Properties. (right click on My computer and click properties).
Select Advanced tab. Then click the settings button under Performance heading.
Under the advanced tab again there is a a section at the bottom called Virtual Memory. Click the change Button and then set the custom size for your virtual memory.
It should advise you on the limits it can be set between.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 fullmetaldog1

fullmetaldog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

alright thank you my hard drive is only 1/2 full so im not sure but its alright it hasnt done it lately it must be when I have so much going on but thanks again

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

This can be caused by a pagefile that's too small. But, did Windows say that it was changing/fixing it? If so, I'd suspect that it was a problem with a program hogging too much memory.

Try checking Task Manager (the Processes tab) by using Ctrl-Alt-Del. Keep an eye on the MemUsage and CPU columns to see what process is consuming the most (disregard System Idle Process). That's likely to be the culprit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

"...it must be when I have so much going on."

Leaving many applications running at the same time when you are not really using them takes more resources than you sometimes realise. A good habit is to close these when not actually using them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users