Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watch This Ad

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

Want to buy a Honda?
Be sure to read this first, then click on the website.

And you thought those people that set up roomfuls of dominos to knock over were amazing..!

There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in this film. Everything you see happened in real time, exactly as you see it. The film took 606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent weeks shooting night and day. By the time it was over, they were ready to change professions. The film cost six million dollars and took three months to complete, including full engineering of the sequence. In addition, it's two minutes long, so every time Honda airs the film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime.

However, it's fast becoming the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself in "free" viewings. Honda isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!

When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it immediately without any hesitation - including the costs. Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and Honda Accord are parts from those two cars.

The voiceover is Garrison Keillor. When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented on how amazing computer graphics have gotten. They fell off their chairs when they found out it was for real. Oh, and about those funky windshield wipers. On the new Accords, the windshield wipers have water sensors and are designed to start doing their thing automatically as soon as they become wet.

>Click on the link below.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/honda.php
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

I now mate class isnt it i cant remember how many trys it took but it happened!! lol!! Honda used that as there add at one stage!!!

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:09 AM

Quite the ad, somebody grew up watching a lot of Road Runner cartoons and playing the game "Mouse Trap" a lot.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

That was cool! :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

So clever, considering no computer tricks.
Wonder how many takes they had,to get it right.
Thanks for sharing it with us,boopme. :thumbsup:

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Call me scepticle but I don't think it was. There is one main reason. When you see the wheels rolling up the ramp each one gets faster and faster as it is going up the ramp. This is against the rules of forces.

Each impact would have a knock non effect and would release energy to the next but it would be less that the orignal force due to loss. Also going up a slope would reduce the speed of the wheels.

The rest of it is possible but I would say not all of it was done in one go just stiched together.

This is only my opinion though. But I still agree with you it was a brilliant advert. They have done a few like this one. This just happens to be the longest one.
Posted Image

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

Call me scepticle but I don't think it was. There is one main reason. When you see the wheels rolling up the ramp each one gets faster and faster as it is going up the ramp. This is against the rules of forces.

Each impact would have a knock non effect and would release energy to the next but it would be less that the orignal force due to loss. Also going up a slope would reduce the speed of the wheels.

The rest of it is possible but I would say not all of it was done in one go just stiched together.

This is only my opinion though. But I still agree with you it was a brilliant advert. They have done a few like this one. This just happens to be the longest one.

Agree with you about the wheels. :thumbsup:
If I look close enough,and long enough,I can find some fault with just about every commercial and movie ever made.
But what is there to be gained, by seeing how many faults I can find,except maybe missing the message being portrayed,good bad or otherwise.

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 13 December 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

It took 606 tries.
The tires got me thinking too,but I gave it the benefit of the doubt.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

I have to say I am not 1 to stare at these things to pick holes. I have better things to do with my time. LOL

Just it was something that stuck out to me at first watch. I must have seen this advert a thousand times as it is always on the Tele.
Posted Image

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:18 AM

I have to agree. It is extremely well put together and I've watched a loop of this over and over again. It is fascinating but I have to agree with projectfocus, the laws of physics would not allow those wheels to act like that.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:19 AM

I have to agree. It is extremely well put together and I've watched a loop of this over and over again. It is fascinating but I have to agree with projectfocus, the laws of physics would not allow those wheels to act like that.

Cheers

Agreed Rowal5555,also there are a few more things that are against the laws of physics.
In the beginning of the ad, the centre cog could not accelerate so fast on a near level plank.The small cog that struck the middle cog would have to have a far greater weight mass to simulate the acceleration shown.Same applies for the tyre scene.
The fan actually brakes too fast.In reality it would not reduce the speed so quickly,but roll much longer.
The roller that hits the glass and stops,cannot accelerate that quickly on a level surface,if at all.
But who cares,its a clever ad in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 17 December 2006 - 04:39 AM.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

Well DSTM, sounds like the engineer coming out there, LOL.

BTW, I loved the transformer Citroen in your other post.

I am off cruising in the morning, so will take this opportunity to wish all Bleeping Computer members, Staff, and your families a very Merry Christmas and the greatest of New Years.

Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:53 AM

Well DSTM, sounds like the engineer coming out there, LOL.

BTW, I loved the transformer Citroen in your other post.

I am off cruising in the morning, so will take this opportunity to wish all Bleeping Computer members, Staff, and your families a very Merry Christmas and the greatest of New Years.

Cheers :flowers:

Have a safe trip Rowal5555,and we are going to miss your posts.
So you don't suffer withdrawal symtoms from BC, I strongly suggest
slipping a laptop PC into the trunk of your car. "LOL" :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 17 December 2006 - 07:14 AM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

A little more research and Snopes says it's real.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/hondacog.asp

Sometimes you just have to be amazed,,,like watching David Blaine get you a beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcWwzPw8d8...ted&search=

btw Bon Voyage Rowal555

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

A little more research and Snopes says it's real.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/hondacog.asp

Sometimes you just have to be amazed,,,like watching David Blaine get you a beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcWwzPw8d8...ted&search=

btw Bon Voyage Rowal555

Hi boopme,The points I mentioned, with my 35 yrs engineering experience, in my mind cannot be copied without tricks being used.Try anyone yourself and they won't work.I can make those wheels do exactly what they have done,but not without trickery.It's really quite simple. I am not trying to be a smarty,in the least.

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 17 December 2006 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users