Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting A Usb Mac Hd For Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 livinirie84

livinirie84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

I have an external usb harddrive that was previously used in mac notebook. I would like to format it to work on my new pc laptop so i can use it to back-up my files. I don't know the first thing about this so i don't know if i can even do this without a mac but i hope so. I plugged it in to my pc just to see what would happen and it recognized that there was a usb mass storage device but i could not access it anywhere except to eject it from the tool bar at the bottom of my screen. If anyone knows what my first step would be please guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, your hard drive was probably formatted in the HFS+ filesystem native to Macs, if someone knows a utility to convert HFS+ to FAT32 or NTFS that might work, but I'm not aware of one, much less a free utility.

Probably your best bet is to plug it into a Mac and transfer all the files to the Mac's internal hard drive. Then once you're certain all your data is copied, format your external drive as a FAT32 drive and copy your data back onto it. On OSX the program to do this is called Disk Utility. Disk Management on XP.

edit: Looks like Disk Utility refers to a FAT32 as an MS-DOS filesystem, so if you're using that program, that's the partition type you want.

Edited by arcman, 11 December 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

#3 livinirie84

livinirie84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

Do you know of a way of salvaging what i have without using a mac computer because i no longer have access to one. Thanks

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

The only other way I can think of to do it is like I mentioned before, to find a utility that will convert the Mac HFS+ filesystem to a native Windows filesystem, similar to the way Partition Magic or Partition Commander can convert an NTFS partition to FAT32, or vice versa. The problem is I'm not aware of a utility like this that supports HFS+. You might ask the question in the Apple section in this subforum, there may be a utility out there I've not heard of.

Edited by arcman, 12 December 2006 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users