Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sli

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

ok so heres what i know. i know that i can link cards together, i know that they have to be more or less of the same type. i also know that the faster one will operate at the speed of the slower one. so heres my question. before i go and purchase another card, how close do they have to be? here is my delema. i have a leadtek PX7900GT tdh geforce 7900gt 256MB Gddr3 PCI Ex16. i can notfor the life of me find another of the same type, i have looked and not even newegg carries it and since leadtek dosnt i am out of a n option to get the exact one. if i get one similar, how similar does it have to be? for example, if i get the Leadtek WinFast PX7900GS TDH 256MB Geforce 7900GS 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP, what kind of perfomance will i see. or will it work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

You might need to go to the nforce forums. They will be able to provide you a bit more infor (I would think). Also, got o SLIZone - that has specific info about SLI...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=24

http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html

Hope that is somewhat helpful..... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

thanks i will try that

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:27 AM

I think I heard somewhere that they recommend the same card, but what really matters is that the gpu core needs to be the same. I think you would be ok, but the actual sli forums will probably give more info.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:03 AM

The important part is that you have the same GPU core, as nforce mentioned. So you cannot pair a 7900GT with a 7900GS. It does not need to be the same manufacturer, so you can pair a 7900GT from Leadtek with a 7900GT from, say, ASUS. The clock does not need to be the same either. You can also use graphics card with different amounts of memory, though it is not officially supported by nVIDIA and you have to enable it in the registry.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

A GS actually would work. You just wouldn't get as good of performance as a GT.
Just like someone I know has a 6600 and a 7800.

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

6600 and a 7800 sli-ed??? that cant work, totally different cores. right?

(im not an expert at sli cause i don't have it, but that doesn't seem right)

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:52 AM

Using two graphics cards is not the same as SLI. SLI is to combine the performance of several nVIDIA graphics cards to output to a single source. You can use several different graphics cards, like a 6600 and a 7800, at the same time but you won't be able to run them in SLI.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Now I'm getting interested in this topic. So even if you have two graphics card in regular pci slots would they both be used by the computer, or only the only the monitors plugged into?

I also wondered about a motherboard I saw that had 3 pciex16 slots. Can you do SLI with that, or is there some other reason.

Sorry for butting into this topic, but now I'm very curious.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

SLI requires: two nVIDIA graphics cards with the same GPU and with the SLI logic built in, two PCIe x16 slots, a motherboard which supports SLI.

What SLI does is that you have both the primary and secondary graphic cards working together to generate frames for the monitor plugged into the primary graphics card. This can help the FPS you get.

You can have multiple graphics cards without SLI to output to different monitors. The the primary graphics card outputs to the monitor plugged into the primary graphics card and the secondary graphics card outputs to the monitor plugged into the secondary graphics card. The FPS on the primary monitor depends on the primary graphics card and the FPS on the secondary monitor depends on the secondary graphics card. These cards does not need to be the same or use PCIe x16 slots.

The PCIe x16 isn't in any way a graphics card only slot like AGP. You can stick any type of PCIe card in it. AMD released a stream processor a while ago that goes into a PCIe x16 slot. You might also stick a physics card in it. nVIDIA has built in some kind of physics processing capabilities into the G80. You can get a third GeForce 8800 and use it as a physics processor.

#11 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

The PCIe x16 isn't in any way a graphics card only slot like AGP. You can stick any type of PCIe card in it. AMD released a stream processor a while ago that goes into a PCIe x16 slot.

Whoa. I've searched for that. Link please?

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

You mean this one? AMD Stream Processor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users