Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Bsod :'(

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rain183

rain183

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

the past week or so i have been getting the bsod when ever i do scans on my computer or watch stream videos such as live interviews from yahoo or things on you tube. i was just wondering if anyone had some insight as to why this might be happening and perhaps steer me in the right direction as to finding a solution. i also submitted an error report to microsoft and it gave me the reply that a driver might be potentially conflicting with those operation and is causing the computer to shut itself down. is there a way in which i can find out which driver that is?

thank you for taking the time to read this

*edit*

here is the error code i have been recieving when i look in the event viewer

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 f6c17161.

Edited by rain183, 11 December 2006 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

What does the BSOD say?

Something like :

STOP 0x000000 (0x000000,0x000000,0x000000,0x000000)

#3 rain183

rain183
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

it doesnt give me enough time to see what it says it bluescreens for less than a second then restarts

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

To disable the automatic restart you can go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then click on the Advanced tab, then on the Startup and Recovery Settings button. In the next window, uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart", then click on OK to exit the dialog. The next time it happens, your system will stay on the BSOD until you restart it.

A BugCheck is nearly identical to a BSOD error message. You can generally use the error messages interchangeably. In this case, it's the last 2 figures that matter (d1). Here's a couple of links:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1
http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_2zdz.htm

Generally this error is caused by a faulty device driver (as you already know). Further troubleshooting will involve determining where the error occurred (in which file). To do this, please follow this procedure:

• The first place to get the information is from the Blue Screen itself. Write down all of the long numbers, the description that's in all Caps with underscores ( _ ) between the words, and any file names that may be mentioned (be sure to note if there wasn't a filename in your post). A more in depth look at this is included in the second reference ( How To Use The Event Viewer ).

In the event that the BSOD flashes by too fast to read, use the first reference to disable the Automatically Restart function ( How To Disable Automatic Restarts ).

• The next place to find the information is in the Event Viewer. Use the mini-guide in the second reference to see how to do this ( How To Use The Event Viewer ).

• The last place to find the information is on your hard drive. Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp. You're looking for the most recent file (or the one closest to the last BSOD that you experienced). Once you find it, use the third reference ( How To Debug Memory Dumps ) to perform an analysis of the memory dump. Be sure to use the !analyze -v command in the bottom of the Debugger's window before closing out your session. Then copy and paste the results into your next post. Someone will have a look at it to see if we can figure out what's gone wrong.

• Sometimes, when Error Reporting is enabled, the dump files will be stored temporarily on your system and are erased once the report is sent. To save this info, you'll have to copy the dump file before sending the report. To do this, just click on the "Details" link in the error report and you'll see some file locations listed. Choose the one that ends in .dmp or .mdmp, locate it in Windows Explorer, and copy it to your Desktop (you'll have to enable viewing of hidden files to do this). Here's an example of the Details:

ERROR REPORT CONTENTS Following files will be included in this error report
    C:\DOCUME~ 1\Owner\ LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7fde.dir00\Mini112706-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7fde.dir00\sysdata.xml

Edited by usasma, 12 December 2006 - 09:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rain183

rain183
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

here is the information i got from the blue screen once i disabled auto restart

DRVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

technical information:

***STOP : 0x00000001 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x864d3008

begining dump of physical memory.
physical memory dump complete

#6 rain183

rain183
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

i do believe i have figured out what the problem is i jsut need to find a way around it. it is an error in the updated nvida graphics card drivers and rolling them back doesnt really work it still gives the same problem. the error exists in the

nv4_mini.sys

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

I was constantly getting that error with my MX4000 card. I updated the drivers, followed these suggestions and no longer get the BSOD.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_4.html

Disable Nvidia Services

When the Forceware drivers install on your system, they install a new Service called the 'Nvidia Display Driver Service'. In general this service doesn't have any essential functionality. In my experience, most people can safely disable this service and not run into any difficulties or reduced functionality whatsoever. In fact some users note that disabling this service improves Windows startup and shutdown times and general performance, so I suggest you disable this service. To disable it go to Start>Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes). This opens the Windows XP Services utility. Double-click on the 'Nvidia Display Driver Service' and select the Disable option under the 'Startup Type' box, then click OK. Disabled services are removed from memory after the next reboot.

Note that some people report potential issues with temperature monitoring on their graphics cards if this service is disabled, so check your temperatures often and reenable this service (set it back to Automatic) if your card usually runs extremely hot, or if you feel you are experiencing any other strange behavior due to the disabling of this service. Once again though, most users should be perfectly fine with this service disabled.

Remove Nvidia Startup Items

By default the Forceware drivers also install three new startup items in your Windows Startup list: NvCplDaemon, NvMediaCenter (also called NvMcTray) and Nwiz. Depending on the functionality you use in the Forceware drivers you can remove some or all of these from your Windows startup, speeding up startup times and reducing background memory usage. The NvCplDaemon item relates to the Nvidia System Tray icon and related functionality. If you don't use the System Tray icon to access the Forceware Control Panel settings - and I recommend you don't - then you can remove this item. Note however that if you overclocking your graphics card using the Forceware Control Panel (See the Overclocking section) then you need to keep this item in your startup. The NvMediaCenter item relates to certain Multimedia functionality in the Nvidia System Tray icon and once again it is recommended you disable this item as well. However if you find particular games (e.g. Everquest) don't function correctly with this disabled, re-enable it. The Nwiz item relates to nView functionality (See the nView Desktop Manager section), and unless you use nView you can safely disable it. To remove any of these items from your Windows startup correctly you should refer to the Startup Programs chapter of my TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for full details.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

Uninstall the nVidia drivers, then download the latest WHQL certified version from the nVidia website and install them. This should fix the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users