Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp~~~service pack 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:35 AM

can i get a few opinions, here? i have a few screensavers that i love..and, YES, i check them for ~junk~ (well, i do NOW... :thumbsup: )...and i have been trying, also, to make them...well, one....gotta start somewhere... :inlove:

anyway...i have one particular ss that, once engaged...will NOT go away, unless i turn the puter off..and i have to do that at the tower. needless to say, i'm not using it. and it's an awesome ss...beautiful scenery, etc. i wrote the author, and was told that, in her experience, the service pack 2 did not mix with the active x used in her ss's...and could that be it? well, as it turns out, maybe it is. anyway, she (of course) recommends i "just remove the service pack 2...it doesn't do anything anyway, it's just microsoft pulling yet more wool over your eyes"...yeah, she likes bill, too... :flowers:

anyone know of another way around this? or SHOULD i just remove the sp2...it sure as heck hasn't stopped me from getting ~junk~...just look in the hjt logs for proof of THAT...(and, yes, the last one DID come from a ss...and i cancelled the installation..too late...never, never, NEVER go to freeze.com!! :trumpet: )

so, may i have your opinions, please? thanx!

damgud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:32 PM

My opinion is that the owner of the ss should offer an update that is compatible with SP2. They probably do, but it is in the "paid" version. If that goes no where, then you can always re-install it. In some cases, it will fix the problems. In that case, I would d/l a fresh copy of it from their site.

As far as reverting back from SP2, I would find a better reason. I know that it may come out a little mean, but allow me to explain my position. For one, I do not use a screen saver, so it is quite possible that a similar problem is on my computer, but I have just not found it yet :thumbsup:
Another reason why I would not use that would be because Windows is more secure with SP2. I may not like the way Microsoft does things, but SP2 is becoming quite common, and for a programmer may lose customers from those that already have it. Instead of telling you that there is not a way around it, I would learn how it works and make a patch for it.

Just my 2 cents.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:52 PM

jason, your two cents are worth a whole lot more than that. and i don't think YOU sound mean...i think SHE sounded mean...and just to let you know...that IS the paid version. a friend gave me a membership to that site for my b-day last year. that's the only reason i WILL dl ss from there. they're ad/spy ware free w/membership.

i guess i'll just avoid ss from that particular author (which is a shame..she does beautiful work) until she DOES make her ss compatible with sp2. your opinion makes sense to me! especially since none of the others has that problem.

thanx!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users