Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Drives/burners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

help!!!

my cd drive/burner is dying, and i need to replace it. keeping in mind i do not currently have a dvd drive/burner in my puter (but i do have a dvd player/burner!), do i want to go with the new combo cd/dvd drive/burners?? or should i stick with just a cd drive/burner? i will not use my puter to watch movies.

assuming the advice is to stick with "just" a cd drive/burner...what the heck am i looking for? there are SOOOO many...and i'm confused! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanx,

damgud :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

I can suggest the NEC 3550A, I have had one for the last year and have burned over 150 DVDs, and another dozen CDs without a complaint. For about $36.00 delivered this is a good deal.

It's also available in black for the same price.

Edited by dc3, 11 December 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

Personally I wouldn't worry about a CD specific burner.
DVD burners are getting so cheap, why limit yourself?

Look for ones with the features you want, and then read reviews on them.
That's a process that will take me anywhere from 1-2 weeks to accomplish.

I suggest you shop places like:
shopping.com
pricegrabber.com
bizrate.com

At these places you'll be able to narrow down the search, by selecting the features you're looking for.
Then, read, read, read.
By going through he reviews, you should be able to narrow down your search, even further.
Then in the end, it comes down to a personal choice.

If your looking for an opinion, I bought this burner about a month ago:
LG GSA-H10N DVD±RW Dual Layer Burner
Got it from NewEgg for $30, but I see they no longer carry it.
Haven't had any problems with it, so far, using Memorex, Maxell and TDK media.
It will burn a full DVD in about 5 1/2 minutes.
Haven't had a chance to try Dual Layer, yet.
It's also a lot quieter than my old NEC CD-ROM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

I agree, DVD-+RW drives are so cheap now that there's really no reason to avoid them. Plus, software of the near future is likely to come on DVD's rather than CD's (example: Windows Vista).

Get a combo drive, it's worth it.

#5 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:17 AM

(ok, i just know i'm going to regret this! it's a bit embarassing to show your ignorance! :thumbsup: )

everyone keeps saying go with a dvd burner....however, i already have one, just not in my puter. but my REAL question is this...when i get new hardware, or even software for that matter.....will i be able to put the cd into a dvd burner and have the puter download from it? because that's the real issue here...my current cd drive isn't working, and i have no way to dl software into my puter. i recently upgraded to new hi-speed usb ports (as well as added a few extras), and i can't install them because my cd drive is on the outs and won't read the included cd! so i thought, since i must replace it, i'd ask what to replace it with!

as far as "features" go...all i really want is a cd drive to read my installation cd's...and a cd burner. one that does a decent job, obviously. the rest is pure arabic to me! we have a GOOD dvd burner, but it's hooked up with our tivo and tv and another dvd player and the (gasp!) video player.

perhaps i should have made my needs clearer in the beginning...my apologies!

thanx for the continuing help, ALWAYS welcome!

damgud :flowers:

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:03 AM

When you buy a DVD burner, it will read and write CD's. I currently have 2 DVD's in my computer, both will burn CD's or DVD's, one is for Lightscribe.
I recomend Liteon brand, they have never failed me. I had a problem with the one LG I owned, but the NEC was a good one too. If you go to Newegg.com you can see a few different brands and read what people who bought them say in reviews.
:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:50 AM

Using the one I linked to, as an example:

can write, read and erase data on all DVD and CD media.

Write = burn data to (backing up your files)
Read = read data from (such as installing programs)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

(ok, i just know it's a bit embarassing to show your ignorance! )

The proud man never learns anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users