Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Continuous Reboot Problem Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barrance

barrance

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

Okay, I've searched this board briefly and found a few similar problems, but nothing exactly the same so here's my problem.

So I turn on the computer running Windows XP Pro SP2 when I wake up in the morning on Saturday and I get to the log in screen. After I select my account, the computer begins loading up all my stuff and then all of a sudden reboots. When I log in again, it does the same thing. I ask my wife what's going on and she said that rebooted once by itself the night before. At this point, I can't get the computer on long enough to do anything before it reboots. Occasionally, during the reboot, I will get to a screen that says that chkdsk has to verify the consistency of my drive... or something like that. I also try booting up in Safe Mode, but the computer gets hung up at mup.sys and after a while, starts a reboot again.

I haven't installed anything new recently and as far as I know, there haven't been any updates, but I do have the Windows update set to automatic. I have the Yahoo anti-spy and anti-virus programs on and I run Adware and Spybot about once a month.

I keep trying to boot up the computer and a two times, I was able to get on the computer long enough to hit a restore point, however, none of them fixed the problem. When I sign onto some of the other accounts, the computer boots fine and is stable, but the minute I try to launch an IE window or copy something from the hard-drive, it reboots.

I have a second hard drive in the computer and I remembered that it used to be the main hard drive on my old computer, which meant that it also had an OS on it, so I tried making the computer boot up with that one. That worked okay, so I start to copy/backup files from the 1st HD. I can get through a few files before it starts a reboot.

So at this point, I'm not able to get on my computer long enough or stable enough to back up any of the files on my main HD, which is important to me since it houses my entire iTunes library and all the pics of my 6 month old. I know how to run a clean install, but I'd rather not do that. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, but all I know is that everytime I try to access that main drive, the system reboots.

I've turned off the automatic restart, I've tried to repair the Windows installation, and I can't get the computer to stay on long enough when booting to the main drive to see the event log.

In recent days, I've been running TivoToGo to get my TV shows onto my PSP and I've noticed that the computer was running a little slow. I'm not sure how this could be a problem though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Check for overheating (clean any dust out), check for weak power supply and also boot to the Recovery Console then run chkdsk /r.

I would also test the memory. http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 11 December 2006 - 12:18 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 barrance

barrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

Thanks.

I may be presumptuous, but I can't imagine it due to overheating since this has happened 2 days in a row now with cold boots in the morning. I also have an Antec TruePower PS, but of course, that could be a problem too.

I will definitely try the Recovery Console and memory test next since that's one thing I haven't done yet. Thanks for the response.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

If your heat sink is clogged with lots of goo, you can heat up really fast. Also I might suggest that you take the fan off the heat sink to get down inside the grills on it. I thought I was doing a good job blowing out the dust until one day I happened to have enough light to get a good look at it. The heat sink was nearly filled 100% with a dusty goo. I used tweezers to gently pick it out and a bit of alcohol on Q-tips to clean off the oily residue left behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users