Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Videocards.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Snake_death2

Snake_death2

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm planning to buy a new videocard, but the problem is: which one?
I'm searching for the best videocard to use on my system. How do I know if my computer can handle a very good videocard?
You will probably need some data of my computer, but where can I find that?
Thanks already.
Hell was too full so I came back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:44 PM

I know dxdiag will give you some basic specs for your PC.

Click the Start Menu, then click on "Run"

in the Run window, type in:

Posted Image

Then click OK.

Then tell us what info it gives you on the first page.

Anyone know of a program that'll tell us about whether he has PCI, PCIe, or AGP slots?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 11 December 2006 - 12:45 PM.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

I think evest will tell you what kind of expansion slots you have. but most everybody has a PCI slot.

If everst doesnt say what style exp slots you have it will give you your mobo model # and brand and you can google the # and brandto find your mobo specs

Edited by BlackSpyder, 11 December 2006 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image

#4 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

Alright there's 2 things I need to know:

What kind of motherboard do you have (and how many PCI/PCI-E x# slots do you have)?

How much are you willing to spend?

I got a nVidia 8800 GTX 768 mb in this one and it's REALLY high performance and I love it, only problem is it takes up a lot of space and it costs ~650 dollars.

Posted Image

#5 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Grr..8800 GTXs.
They also have a smaller version of it with a water cooling thing on it, but it costs 150$ more.
The also have a 8800GTS for ~460

#6 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

On your request Amazing Andrew (I couldn't copy or translate it properly so I took a screenshot):

Posted Image

And about the motherboard, it may be included in my picture, but if it isn't where can I find that, same for the PCI slots? (not good with the inside of the computer :thumbsup: )
And about the money to spend... well... not sure about that, I just want a perfect videocard for my computer, but I don't want to pay 200+ (1 Euro = 1.3192 U.S. dollar) on that and not going lower than 256Mb.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

Looks like you have a fairly dated computer with an AGP slot.
With a system that old I wouldn't put anything more than a 6600GT. That will let you play games from about a year ago somewhat comfortably, but if you want to play the newer stuff you'd be much better served saving your money for a new system, or saving for a system overhaul instead of buying older parts.
Posted Image

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

Just from looking at the conversation here, you can get an Nvidia 6800GS in either AGP or PCI-E....it's a 256mb card, and is quite fast...try to by an "OC'd" (overclocked) version, as it's memory speed is 1000mhz...a little faster than the standard, or "not overclocked" version.

I also think that you'd be happy with a 6600GT as arcman has suggested. It's only a 128mb card, but it too comes in an "OC'd" version, and has nice clock sppeds (overclocked core at 400mhz and memroy at 1000mhz if I remember right), so it'll run a lot of games in default (normal) settings easily.

You could also get the ATI equivelant if you're an ATI fan. Not sure what it would be though :flowers:

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try to get my hands on a good videocard with your advise.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Just from looking at the conversation here, you can get an Nvidia 6800GS in either AGP or PCI-E....it's a 256mb card, and is quite fast...try to by an "OC'd" (overclocked) version, as it's memory speed is 1000mhz...a little faster than the standard, or "not overclocked" version.

I also think that you'd be happy with a 6600GT as arcman has suggested. It's only a 128mb card, but it too comes in an "OC'd" version, and has nice clock sppeds (overclocked core at 400mhz and memroy at 1000mhz if I remember right), so it'll run a lot of games in default (normal) settings easily.

You could also get the ATI equivelant if you're an ATI fan. Not sure what it would be though :flowers:

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

I've seen 256MB 6600GT's. I'd highly suggest getting one of these 3 cards. A X800 ( Get a XL or XT ) 6600GT, ( My friend has had one, served him well) or a 6800. But you'd have to have the required power supply.

For that you'd have to open you case and check the model and power rating, you'd probably want at least 350 watts and maybe 20 Amps on the 12V rail.

Edited by protozero, 12 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#11 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

Get the X800 GTO
Bestest AGP card on newegg for the price.
It used to be the 6800GS but they discontinued it!

#12 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info about the videocard, it looks good to me. The replys seem good too :thumbsup:.
It saids $134.99 , thats about 102, how about the shippingcosts to other countries? Is it the same for all countries ($6.13 --> 5.6)? And what does the "HI, AK and PR" mean (sorry if its very obvious). As I live in Belgium, it might be included with one of those three...

#13 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

Newegg doesn't ship internationally, so you'll want to find a different reseller, preferably one local to EU. that would be a decent card for you, though.
Posted Image

#14 Snake_death2

Snake_death2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks anyway, but no problem, I found a new site which the owner is very close to me. They seem to have a videocard I'm looking for. If you want to see it, here's the link:
http://www.compu-star.be/index.php?page=2&Id=327

Edited by Snake_death2, 13 December 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#15 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, I think that would be a very good card with a big performance boost to your system. That card also has some eye candy like SM3 (i think)

I'm usually a nvidia fan, but for your system, i would recommend the ati radeon x800\x850. It doesn't have SM3 (which is required to play some of the newest games) and some of that stuff, but it has more raw power and will squeeze more framrates out of your slightly older system.

Remember that if you get something too good, it will only run as fast as the other parts of your system will let it (bottleneck). Such as you would not be able to tell that much of a difference between the 6800 and 7600.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users