Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantispyware Program

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 perrymc

perrymc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I ran across this product (can be found at www.superantispyware.com), have used it on two separate machines and was blown away by how well it worked! Would be curious if anyone else out there is using it and would like to hear their experiences with it. Here are mine:

Both machines had been infected with trojans and very aggressive malware with popups consistently saying the machines might contain spyware and to click 'here' to have them removed. On the first machine (which lacked active antispyware) I ran Spybot S&D, AdAware SE Personal, Ewido plus one or two others I do not recall. This machine had an expired version of Norton on it. While we were able to delete most of the problems, the primary instigator was still there and kept a popup security alert on the task bar at bottom right. HighjackThis! and manual removal looked to be the next step. I had run across SuperAntispyware during a Google search and gave it a go. It installed easily and quickly and immediately removed the active malware. This machine has been clean now for about two months!

The second machine cleanup was more impressive (I'm easily impressed!). It had a current install of the Norton Suite active at the time of the infection. Still, I ran a scan using it first. It found zero infections all the while the trojan was actively attempting downloads and was activating popups during the scan (of course probably should have ran the scan in safe mode). I again followed up with Spybot and AdAware, both of which removed a few infections but still did not get to the root trouble maker. So, I downloaded and installed SuperAntispyware. Within seconds of installation it recognized an attempt to download something, reacted with a message and immediately removed the infection -- the icon on the taskbar disappeared instantly. This was all before I could choose to have it do a full scan. When I did, it found a number of other infections which were then removed. That machine has now been clean for a couple of weeks.

Wish I could be more specific as to which infections they were but cannot find my notes! The is a free version for home users but with some limitations (no realtime blocking and no automatic updates are two). It is well worth the manual scanning, detection and removal when a problem is encountered. I am leaning towards the pro version when my current subscription to Counterspy expires (an antispyware program I have been using for over a year on my own system that has done the job nicely).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

I found superantispyware quite a good program was it the free version or the full version u had. All in all is not a bad program. Im 1 of those people who want to keep there computer as secure and safe as possible. I used it for a while the got a bit annyoed wit how slow it made my startup time. I now i could turn it off but whats the point in having a spyware program thats not protecting your computer. lol!!
So it preety good in my eyes and seemed to help a right bit. The way i keep my computer as secure and spyware free as possible is by routine. Every saturday or sunday when im free i run. Spybot update first. Adawarese professional update frst Disk clean up this just deletes tempoary file the recycling bin etc.. Complete scan with Avg 7.5 this includes a spyware and antivirus software. To help protect my internet i use spyware blaster this blocks known bad cookies, websites to prevent u getting the from the internet alsp update regualry. Oh and a defag most of the time this boasts proformace. And to top it all of i use bootvis to check my start up time and to see wat if anything is slowing it down. so i hope i helped but im sure i didnt lol!!
regards
Peter
Gudluck :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

SuperAntiSpyware is one of our recommended programs, in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps list.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 perrymc

perrymc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Petevq67

In both instances I downloaded the trial version of the Pro (before I noticed the free version). I agree with you about slow boot times but right now that is one major gripe I have about my Counterspy. It is so slooow on boot. Switching over won't seem all that big a deal to me. I also use AVG Free and clean caches whenever I exit the internet.

Tq911

Thanks for the link to the substitute programs! Will definitely check it out as soon as I finish this post. I am an infrequent user of the forums (almost long enough to forget my username and password). It is nice to learn about these extras once in a while. Thanks again. Cheers to All! :thumbsup:

#5 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

I dont realize any differnece between the pro and free apart from a few option like, Wats your (op) i might be able to give u a few tips on how to speed up ur start time a good program although it will not help boot times but it shows u how long it take to boot your computer and what programs start when you boot up. This is called microsoft bootvis i far as i can remeber it free but only works on xp. Sure ill post a link in my next post kk

Regards
Peter
:thumbsup:

#6 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

I currently run Webroot Spy Sweeper. Can Superantispyware be used as an alternative antispy program? Is it only a realtime program or can I use as an additional antispyware scan. I would like to keep Spy Sweeper as a fulltime scan.

Edited by socom 004, 11 December 2006 - 06:03 PM.

HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#7 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

I have several spyare programs such as spybot seach and destroy and ad aware se profeesional it alright to use to but make sure u always update before scanning ohh and never use to antivius programs at same time as the will collide with each other which leaves you computer open when u think that it is!!!!!

Regards
Peter
:thumbsup:

#8 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:20 PM

Superantispyware free only runs manually right? Like Spybot and Ad-Aware, you have to start them manually to scan. My SpySweeper runs all of the time, I'm want to know if superantispyware only runs when I manually run it. SpySweeper starts when my computer starts up, does superantispyware?
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

SuperAntiSpyware - free version, is an excellant on-demand scanner. Only the professional version has real-time protection. Likewise, only the professional version with real-time protection enabled will load up at boot-up.

The professional version also appears to have an ad-blocking function. I'm not absolutely certain of this. It is possible that this feature would be an additional charge. I do know that some of the files for that function were downloaded when I installed the free version.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

Ok, that's what I want then right? On-demand. It also has a Hi jack browser setting. The way I understand it is you put your IE browser homepage in the box and it blocks the homepage from being hijacked. Is that right? If so, how can it do that if it isn't loaded at start-up like a realtime antispy program? I may be missing something. It has a setting to have it start at start up and then the icon shows up in the bottom tray. Does this mean it is protecting? Or is the settings such as the Hi Jack running but the antispyware program isn't running. It's not clear to me
I want to keep my Webroot spysweeper progran running all of the time. It loads at start up, is it ok to have the superantispyware to start up at start up too? Sorry.... :thumbsup:

Edited by socom 004, 11 December 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

I have mine set up that way.

Now, I'm getting out of my depth in explaining quite how it works other than the fact that it probably involves something in the registry. The program does of course have some sort of loading that goes on, but not the way that real-time protection does. You won't see a tray icon, a quick launch icon or anything. You have to start the program in order to use it.

For what it's worth, I have 256 RAM on my computer, and you can see what security programs I have installed in my signature below. I have a total of 29 processes that show up in my TaskManager when booting-up is finished, and not one of them is related to SuperAntiSpyware unless there is something connected with it in the svchost.exe

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Click on the link above to compare the free version to the professional version.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

I have mine set up that way.

Now, I'm getting out of my depth in explaining quite how it works other than the fact that it probably involves something in the registry. The program does of course have some sort of loading that goes on, but not the way that real-time protection does. You won't see a tray icon, a quick launch icon or anything. You have to start the program in order to use it.

For what it's worth, I have 256 RAM on my computer, and you can see what security programs I have installed in my signature below. I have a total of 29 processes that show up in my TaskManager when booting-up is finished, and not one of them is related to SuperAntiSpyware unless there is something connected with it in the svchost.exe

I do have a tray icon though. Anyway, I can still use my spysweeper as full-time or real-time correct? Maybe the tray icon is there because I manually started it?

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

I have SUPERAntiSpyware running and there is a yellow bug icon in the systray. Right clicking on this gives you all the options. TaskManager shows SUPERANTISP..... with no CPU use but 48,112K Mem.

The thing I particularly like about this app, is the 'find out what is running' option which tells you every appn that is running and whether it is good, bad or don't know and allows you to send any for analysis.

All in all, a pretty good programme, IMHO.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

Looking at the page that buddy215 posted, only the pro version has the browser protection enabled, even though the user can fill in the browser homepage in the configuration screen. I have other programs that protect me on that score anyway.

If you have manually started SuperAntiSpyware, the tray icon will appear. Right clicking on the tray icon will provide you with a menu to call up the configution window, do updates and several other things. If you click on exit then it will go away. If it shows up on booting-up, you probably downloaded the professional trial version.
------
Having more than one anti-spyware on-demand program is good as long as only one is providing real-time protection. You can certainly keep spysweeper's real-time protection as long as all your other anti-spyware programs are on-demand.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users