Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is The Significance Of "file And Printer Sharing"?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Electric_penguin

Electric_penguin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

Hi,

I frequently use wireless hotspots and have Zonealarm free firewall installed. In Zonealarm, the wireless adapter is set as belonging to the internet zone.

Some online articles (like http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-traveler-hotspot-1.htm) also recommend turning off "File and printer sharing" under Network connections>Properties>Network tab.

What exactly does this setting do, and how does it interact with the firewall?

Since a firewall is on, nobody in the wireless network should be able to connect to my computer in the first place, right? And if my firewall was down, they would only be able to see the folders I had specifically set to be shared? Right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:56 AM

Will this help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users