Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeps Rebooting During Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Straffo

Straffo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for the following problem?

Everytime my PC (pent 4 / Windows Xp Pro) tries to boot, it gets as far as the Xp splash screen, flashes a BSOD for an instant (had to use a camera to catch it) and then reboots.

The blue screen suggests disable of BIOS memory options caching / shadowing but I don't have these available in my BIOS.

I've stripped everything out except video and CD drive - still the same (system won't let me boot without the cd drive there (?) but I tried different CD drives and problem was the same.

Would reloading Windows help? Any tips for doing this without losing all my files??

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Dave,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:00 AM

Have you tried using the Last Known Good Configuration. See this article for information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Straffo

Straffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:16 AM

Well, I'm 99% sure (!) sure I DID try that, but I'll try it again when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Dave.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

If that doesn't work you can always try repairing the current installation with your Windows Installation CD (provided you have one).

Boot the system with the XP installation CD. The CD drive must be set as the initial boot device in the computer BIOS. There are a number of different ways to access the BIOS, but pressing Delete on the initial boot screen is one of the most common methods. After it has booted from the CD Windows will inspect the hardware configuration. Once the inspection is complete, files will start to load from the CD to begin the installation.

Eventually a screen will be displayed offering three options. Select the first option to set up Windows by pressing Enter. More files will load from the CD until you are taken to a new screen. A list of all the current installations of Windows XP will be displayed in the lower portion of the window. Use the arrow keys to select among them if you have more than one installation. Once the selection has been made, press the R key to begin the repair process. Note that when you perform a repair of a current installation you will be asked to enter the Product Key that came with the CD.

In essence you are installing a fresh copy of XP over the existing copy. While data and settings are not destroyed, any Service Packs will have to be reinstalled after the repair process has completed.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Straffo

Straffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:46 AM

OK, I'll try all that tonight as well.
Thanks again for your help!!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

What are the numbers and information on the Blue Screen of Death?

Here's a link about how to find the info:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

and some info on how to do it:
  • The first place to get the information is from the Blue Screen itself. Write down all of the long numbers, the description that's in all Caps with underscores ( _ ) between the words, and any file names that may be mentioned (be sure to note if there wasn't a filename in your post). A more in depth look at this is included in the second reference ( How To Use The Event Viewer ).

In the event that the BSOD flashes by too fast to read, use the first reference to disable the Automatically Restart function ( How To Disable Automatic Restarts ).

• The next place to find the information is in the Event Viewer. Use the mini-guide in the second reference to see how to do this ( How To Use The Event Viewer ).

• The last place to find the information is on your hard drive. Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp. You're looking for the most recent file (or the one closest to the last BSOD that you experienced). Once you find it, use the third reference ( How To Debug Memory Dumps ) to perform an analysis of the memory dump. Be sure to use the !analyze -v command in the bottom of the Debugger's window before closing out your session. Then copy and paste the results into your next post. Someone will have a look at it to see if we can figure out what's gone wrong.

• Sometimes, when Error Reporting is enabled, the dump files will be stored temporarily on your system and are erased once the report is sent. To save this info, you'll have to copy the dump file before sending the report. To do this, just click on the "Details" link in the error report and you'll see some file locations listed. Choose the one that ends in .dmp or .mdmp, locate it in Windows Explorer, and copy it to your Desktop (you'll have to enable viewing of hidden files to do this). Here's an example of the Details:

ERROR REPORT CONTENTS Following files will be included in this error report
    C:\DOCUME~ 1\Owner\ LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7fde.dir00\Mini112706-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7fde.dir00\sysdata.xml

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Straffo

Straffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

Sorry guys, got home and was directed by the management towards a failed guitar amplifier instead. Will look at the PC tonight.
In reply though, the actual fault its quoting is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Sorry guys, got home and was directed by the management towards a failed guitar amplifier instead. Will look at the PC tonight.

#8 Straffo

Straffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:05 AM

and lower down quotes...
STOP:0X00000050 (0XCEDC0000, 0X00000000, 0XB04D9DAB, 0X00000000)

beginning dump of physical memory

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

Here's a link to the error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

I'd suggest first running MemTest86, it's free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ Please follow the directions exactly, and let the test run for at least 2 full passes (overnight is better).

If you get errors, you can stop the test. Then it's time to crack open the case and see how many sticks of RAM that you have (unplug the power cord from the wall and ensure that you remain in contact with the metal of the chassis to avoid static discharge). If you have more than one stick, then I'd suggest trying them one at a time with MemTest86 until you locate the bad stick.

It's also a possibility that the slot, the motherboard, or another hardware device may be bad - so if all sticks come out bad in the first slot, you'll have to investigate the other slots.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Straffo

Straffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

Guys, sorry for delay in returning to work on this problem and getting back to you, but heres the latest:
Any suggestions that required first booting up into Windows I couldn't use as I couldn't get into Windows AT ALL.

I downloaded and unzipped memtest but my laptop wouldn't run the install.exe, a dialogue box came up saying... "The system file is not suitable for running MSDOS or microsoft windows applications"

The link to the microsoft page for 0x00000050 errors said it was a memory error / RAM error.
It suggested disabling cache in BIOS but I dont have those options.
I tried the following things but the symptoms were exactly the same...
I replaced the single RAM stick on my motherboard.
I moved the stick to the next slot along.
I swapped the video card for another (I dont have anything else plugged in to the M/:thumbsup:

So, I got my Xp disk and tried both the repair and the install options, in both cases the install came to a halt with the same BSOD message as before: error code 0x00000050 PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

At this point I was thinking that it must be a motherboard problem, as the only other thing I hadn't changed/eliminated was the hard disk and I assumed that any corrupted file on that wouldnt affect a new install of Windows??

Anyway, just to eliminate the hard drive I borrowed a friends spare 8 gig disk and attempted an Xp install, and...its gone through and installed and runs?!
Obviously I've still got the problem of trying to access my data on the old drive and I probably need to buy a new drive with larger capacity, but it SEEMS now that it was the drive or a file on it that was causing the problem??

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks for your suggestions.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:31 PM

Yes, it's probably the hard drive. Use it as little as possible until you get to recovering the data from it - if it's about to fail you don't want that to happen while you're in the middle of recovering stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users