Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Likely An Obvious Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:20 PM

Hi all,

This will probably sound like a REALLY obvious question but then my knowledge of computers in this area is very limited.

Here goes. I got a virus (could of guessed that :thumbsup: ) but dont know what to do. I moved it to the vault thing (I have AVG free edition BTW) so firstly is it safe there?Its not going to spread or anything? Secondly how do i get rid of it? I tried healing it but it says "Action Failed error when handling blah blah" (if you need the whole report say and ill put it in). if i right click it an option comes up to delete it. now, is this going to delete it permantly off my computer or what? i dont mind losing the file (i think its just a temp file anyways) but i just want to know that it will definately be gone. that kinda sums it up really. i want it gone for good and i dont care what has to go to get rid of it I HATE VIRUSES!!!....ahem.

I think its called new[1].htm if that helps....

Thanks for your time and pleeeease help me!
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

If you open AVG you can go tyo the Virus vault. Click on empty the vault. As a matter of precaution you can scan afterwards with an online scanner such asEwido or Panda software online virus scan

Edited by fozzie, 10 December 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

When AVG moves an infected file to its virus Vault, the virus is rendered harmless. Most good anti-viruses will always quarantine, rather than immediately delete, a file so that it can be restored if it turned out to be a false-positive, an error, or a file needed by an application to function.
AVG allows you to review the contents of the Vault and delete these files. In your case, you can probably just delete that file, but best practices would suggest that you retain it in the Vault for a few days for the reasons I mentioned.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

heya fozzie.

will avg not be able to find it if i do another scan or are those programs you listed just better than avg?

thanks for teh fast reply aswel!
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

If AVG found it the first time, it seems likely it will find it again if it resides on your hard drive. Fozzie's suggestion of an independent scan is akin to getting a "second opinion" from another doctor about whether you are sick or not.
Regards,
John

#6 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

Okey i just scanned the computer again and it seems that its okey. panic over hopefully :flowers: . I just freaked out there as my mum has had a virus before and it really damaged her laptop but thanks for the help you two!

I dunno if this goes here but i would like to learn more (we've all got to start somewhere). When the infected file gets moved to the vault is the WHOLE file moved into the vault away from the computer (if you know what i mean) and then merely deleted completely from the computer?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Ben
--Charles Schultz

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:14 AM

As John explained you the file resides in the Virus Vault untill you choose to delete it. Looking at the name of the file it would be best to delete it but than again that is upto you Did you do any of the two online scans or just AVG again?

#8 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

hi again. I done a scan with avg and it didnt detect anything. i then went to bed as it was about 12:30-1:00am and i was tired. im doing that panda scan now and its detected 20 spyware!! ive just spoke to my dad (who knows ALOT about these things) and he said to download that avg anti spyware thing you have in you signature.

I just dont understand why people do these things. it really p****s me off!

anywho, you said looking at the name of the file you would delete it. i have, but what is it that you can tell from the name?
--Charles Schultz

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:58 AM

Malware by nature installs itself as a separate and unique file, although the file may be different types. Consequently, any anti-virus will quarantine or remove the entire file.
Regards,
John

#10 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

well okey. i know alot more than i previously did and im now the better for it. i managed to use the anti spyware and all that came up was one maleware called backdoor.genlot.dx and the rest was low-medium risk tracking cookie things.

Thanks again for all the help!! *bows*
--Charles Schultz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users