Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop has NO power...help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cici24

cici24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

please help!
I bought this computer used back in October, and it was great until last Tuesday. That night it acted up, and by Wed. it wouldn't work at all.
Nothing happens when u push the power button -- no lights, fans, anything at all.
My husband checked the power cord and it registered the right voltage or whatever, but the battery meter is reading 0, so the power isn't making it to the battery (or anywhere else, apparently).
I did leave it in the case in my car Tues, but it never got below 50 outside.
We don't know much about HW, but we follow directions well if anyone has suggestions.
THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skaines

skaines

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 03:29 AM

there could be a problem with the battery but it should still work while plugged in, if not it will most likely have to be sent/taken back to the manufacturer to be repaired, i know most laptop batteries are fairly expensive. i know lapops are sent back to manufacturers at computer stores unless they only need new RAM or a new CPU.

Edited by skaines, 28 December 2004 - 03:31 AM.

#3 cici24

cici24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, but it isn't worth the cost of sending it to Gateway.

Doesn't anyone out there have any other ideas???

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:16 AM

If you left it outside in that temperature it may have resulted in condensation getting inside. If thats the case, and you plugged it in before it returned to room temp and fully dried out you may be out of luck.

You can try taking the battery out and cleaning the contacts (on the battery and in the laptop) with a pencil eraser. Try leaving it plugged in for awhile.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:51 PM

Some laptops have power problems when there is something wrong with the main battery. Have you taken it back to the manufacturer to have them look at it for an estimate on the damages?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users