Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Full

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beeel

beeel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

My hard drive is 92% full. How do I find how much memory is taken up by individual components. When I go into explorer I can see the size of individual files but not size of folders.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

i use a program called SC-DiskInfo. you can probably get it or a similar program from download.com it will give you details about what folders or files are taking up the most space.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

I use a small feature called Treesize, you can download here. It gives comprehensive info what is installed on which drive and you can delete files very easily

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

Just FYI - it's recommended that you have at least 15% free space on your drive. Less than that can result in strange problems. I've even seen disks so full that you can't delete files from it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

Another good one, which is fun to use, is SEQUOIA VIEW which shows you graphically the size of every programme on your hard drive.
Mousing over any 'box' will tell you exactly where the programme is located so you can easily deal with it. As mentioned above, you need at least 15% of your drive free in order to defrag. Also, remember that you don't gain any space until you empty your recycle bin. (That had me going for a while LOL).

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by rowal5555, 11 December 2006 - 02:14 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

Just FYI - it's recommended that you have at least 15% free space on your drive. Less than that can result in strange problems. I've even seen disks so full that you can't delete files from it!

i didnt know that, i guess you learn something new everyday.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:15 AM

In Explorer right click on a folder and select "Properties". That should tell you the size of the folder.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

I have always used Easy Cleaner to find percentage available. Click "space usage" button. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

Before installing any additional applications and reducing your free space even more, use the existing Windows Disk Cleanup to help open up some more space.
Tree Size is probably the smallest download, so use that.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users