Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

Am planning to download cCleaner, as it appears to be a most important utility, from what I've been researching and reading in other posts.
Haven't found a Tutorial on how to use it tho...but from what I understand, best to stay away from anything to do with the registry.
Is the Cleaner option the only one I need to use?

Your advise is appreciated!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

A good place to start would be at these links:

Quick Tour

CCleaner FAQ

The reason it is recommended to stay away from using the Issues option is that at times it (&other registry cleaners) are overused which can cause problems with the computer because of the potential to remove necessary registry entries. Even though CCleaner's registry cleaner is not all that aggressive, it still should not be run all that often. You are given the option to make a backup of changes of the registry before removing entries is completed.

FYI: Pay close attention during the installation. You are given an option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Unless you really want it, I would uncheck that option. After the installation, go to Options > Advanced & uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

I have been working with Ccleaner quite some time now and also use the registry feature. What you do is after installing it go to options advanced and tick "prompt for registry back up " I allways use it after uninstalling to make sure there are no unwanted entries left behind in the registry.

As a default it will store your backup in the My Documents folder

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Thanx for the great links and information hillbillygreek and fozzie!

I may use the "Issues" option sometime in my Tech future... :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users