Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Low (specs Stated) And Fan Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sepand

sepand

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi

I keep getting the Virtual Memory Low warning on my windows XP. Here are some details:

The PF Usage is at 500MB, not even half of full.
CPU usage was between 2-20% when the last error came.
Computer had been shut down and turned on only 2 hours before the error.

Specs:
Laptop Hp Pavilion ZT3000
768 MB Ram
60 GB HD @ 5400 RPM, with 7 GB free space

Virtual Memory Settings:
Custom Size: Initial Size 100MB, Maximum Size 768MB
System managed size and ‘no paging file’ are NOT selected.

Also, my poor poor laptop (only 2 years old, cost me US$2000) is acting like an old dog now… the fan kicks in really loud every minute for 10-20 seconds every time I open an application or browse the internet (for example, when I open a new tab and go to a website). What can be done??

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:28 PM

well the typical rule of thumb is that your page file usage should be set to 1.5 time the size of your actual memory. since you have 768 megs of ram. i would try setting your page file usage to 1000 megs.

and it probably sounds like your laptop needs a good clean up and defrag. and dont forget to make sure you have to proper virus and spyware protection running.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#3 sepand

sepand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:44 PM

Is that maximum or initial? If initial, then what should max be? If max, what shoud initial be?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

"System managed size and ‘no paging file’ are NOT selected"
Why not let Windows manage the swap file?
If at all possible, I would certainly free up some of that hard drive space by deleting unneeded files and applications, or simply saving some of the files to disk.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 sepand

sepand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

Cuz it was like that by default! So should I change it? I've read everywhere else that it's best if user sets the size, not windows.
Stupid windows, never has anything right by default. You have to tweak so many things.

Edited by sepand, 11 December 2006 - 12:32 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

Allowing Windows to manage your pagefile has benefits - you don't have to worry about the size of it. If you set it yourself, then you've gotta worry about it yourself.

My theory is that it's most efficient to set it to a fixed size (Initial and Maximum being the same) so that you don't use extra resources managing it. But this requires that you set it large enough that you don't run out of space in the middle of doing something.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

How can I optimize the Windows 2000/XP/2003 virtual memory (Pagefile)?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users