Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jennii

jennii

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:57 AM

My computer keeps turning itself off....actually tonight is the first time for two days that I could run if for over two hours..I'm in Australia, and we have had some very hot days, could this affect it..another friend told me it could be an indication my hard drive is going....please could someone tell me what is going on

jennii

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

we have had some very hot days, could this affect it..

Yes, very likely the cause.
Are the fans working ok, Case fan, CPU fan etc.
Check that things arent clogged up with dust and other detritus.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

sbrown.uk is on the right track. Heat cannot only cause a computer to be unstable but it could permently damage your PC.
Here is a tutorial that may be useful. Cleaning the Interior of your PC
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 139ricky

139ricky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

Not a great expert, but I had a similar problem to solve -random shutdowns - and after exhaustive checks replaced a 256 RAM card and all is now well.

Could be worth carefully checking or re-seating existing memory, when you do other checks inside the box!

R

#5 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

My computer keeps turning itself off....actually tonight is the first time for two days that I could run if for over two hours..I'm in Australia, and we have had some very hot days, could this affect it..another friend told me it could be an indication my hard drive is going....please could someone tell me what is going on

jennii

#6 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

Not a great expert, but I had a similar problem to solve -random shutdowns - and after exhaustive checks replaced a 256 RAM card and all is now well.

Could be worth carefully checking or re-seating existing memory, when you do other checks inside the box!

R

Actually the problem was the intense heat,it has been on since 7.30 pm last night, so I guess it will happen
all the time when it gets hot and I'm without air-conditioning thanks for the replies
jennii

#7 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

we have had some very hot days, could this affect it..

Yes, very likely the cause.
Are the fans working ok, Case fan, CPU fan etc.
Check that things arent clogged up with dust and other detritus.

Thank you, it seems to have fixed itself now the weather is cooler jennii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users