Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Gifts/worse Gifts ...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

Just wondering if anyone has got a special gift that really stands out in their mind - or perhaps the opposite extreme, a really bad gift.

A really bad gift given to me - a waffle iron. Why? Well, simply because the man I was dating had a love for waffles and knew I didn't like them. Yet, sure enough, on Christmas morning, there was a waffle iron for me - from him, of course - sitting on the tree. Eep!

Wonderful gifts - the year my beloved secretly had my wedding/engagement rings re-sized (I'd gained weight and hadn't been able to wear them for nearly a year and missed them dreadfully) ... and a nightie, made by hand, by our daughter. Flannel, falling off the shoulders and dragging on the floor and consisting of tiny red spots where the needle had made her fingers bleed. She still doesn't sew now that she's an adult, but that one attempt and the slightly wonky fitting gift is precious to me! :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:46 AM

The best gift that stands out in my mind,actually was given to me by my "Mother in Law",who lives in Austria.
One trip over there ,she bought me a complete miniture train set with all the carriages and wagons.
This is made of "Swarovski Lead Crystal."

The worst gifts by far was actually given to me by my own brother and his wife.Year after year,they gave us useless gifts.One year they gave us a book.They only problem they forgot it was a gift to them 4 yrs earlier from a neighbour. They forgot it was signed on the second page. :thumbsup: Another year, 4 LP records, and they know I have never owned a record player.Many useless gifts still in their damaged boxes,that looked like they had been half way round the world on more than one occassion.In the end I told them,a nice card is plenty.They are well off,be different if they were poor. :flowers:
Must be right into recycling"LOL"
If I can't decide what gift to give someone,and only as a last resort,I simply enclose a money coupon to the value I want with a lovely card,and let them buy something they would like.Works like a treat.Had no complaints."LOL"

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 10 December 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#3 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:36 AM

A really bad gift given to me - a waffle iron. Why? Well, simply because the man I was dating had a love for waffles and knew I didn't like them. Yet, sure enough, on Christmas morning, there was a waffle iron for me - from him, of course - sitting on the tree. Eep!

That's awful!! :inlove: :trumpet:

The worst gifts by far was actually given to me by my own brother and his wife.Year after year,they gave us useless gifts.One year they gave us a book.They only problem they forgot it was a gift to them 4 yrs earlier from a neighbour. They forgot it was signed on the second page. :thumbsup: Another year, 4 LP records, and they know I have never owned a record player.Many useless gifts still in their damaged boxes,that looked like they had been half way round the world on more than one occassion.In the end I told them,a nice card is plenty.They are well off,be different if they were poor. :cool:

:flowers:

The worst thing I've ever gotten was from my own father for Christmas about three years ago! B) It wasn't that the gift was bad (the gift was earrings btw), it's just that I haven't worn in over 10 years. :P
But actually, the worst part was that after he gave them to me, I kindly (as kindly as I could) explained that I don't wear earrings, haven't since I was in elementary school, I got earrings again for my birthday (the next October)!! :) :spam:

The best gifts I got were when I was younger (and plane fares were a whole lot cheaper). My family and I used to go to the outer islands for vacation (Christmas, birthdays, etc).
That was great :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Wow, a crystal train set - bet it makes your heart smile each time you look at it, DSTM (and think nice thoughts about your mother-in-law :flowers: )

I know it would be rude beyond belief, but I've always always wanted to gently ask people that give "senseless and obviously recycled" gifts why . Honestly very curious, especially since most of these odd type gifts are given with genuine good feelings, which makes it all the more confusing. (You've handled it well by suggesting you're simply happy with a nice card - much kinder than re-recycling one of those same gifts back to them the following year :thumbsup:

Oh dear, Tink - I can see why the earrings were such a bad gift - and to get another pair for your birthday from your father once again - Sob! But you do have the consolation of knowing he loves you enough to venture into the stores to actually shop, perhaps. Gentle smile. Please please tell us he's not still giving you earrings on every special occassion, though??! Eep!

(My mother loved the colours purple and red and I loathed them - yet every single Christmas, I'd get either a bright red or vibrant purple cashmere sweater (with no return receipt, of course, but my friends who wore the same size simply loved my mother!) - could never figure out if she simply forgot or? But she finally must have realized my thanks weren't all that sincere one year as the following xmas morning I opened another cashmere sweater - this time the most vibrant green imaginable - and with my flaming red hair I look just like a walking Christmas tree). Parents, you gotta love anyway!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Oh dear, Tink - I can see why the earrings were such a bad gift - and to get another pair for your birthday from your father once again - Sob! But you do have the consolation of knowing he loves you enough to venture into the stores to actually shop, perhaps. Gentle smile. Please please tell us he's not still giving you earrings on every special occassion, though??! Eep!

:thumbsup:
No earrings...but then again, Christmas is only around the corner. I'll keep you posted! :flowers:

I say they're 'bad' gifts but I do appreciate the thought. I always tease him now, saying "You're not getting me earrings again, are you?!" :inlove:
He laughs so its cool!

Another 'bad' (funny) gift was from my dad again. He knows I don't drink (alcohol) but brought me home a Budweiser T-shirt 3 sizes too big. I wear to sleep when I'm over his house just to rub it in, he always laughs. :trumpet:

I guess I haven't gotten a truly bad gift, one where you'd want to kill!
I get those gifts that you open, look at it, shake your head thinking "What were they thinking when they picked this?", and laugh like a maniac because its just that funny. :) :cool:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

Wow DSTM that train set must be gorgeous.

I have to say the best gift I received was some years ago now. It was a Steinway baby grand piano,from my folks. My daughter now plays it so beautifly. That makes it the best. My use and now hers,for years it has brought me(and others) great joy.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:15 AM

I remember whining about getting socks and underwear when I was little.. Does that count?
Now my grand daughter, when she was little asked my wife for some canned chili for Christmas, so I bought her some chili. But what good is chili without crackers? So I bought her some crackers and hot chocolat too. I also bought her a hand made wooden merry go round toy, just so she didn't think I didn't like her. But she started whining and asking if all she got was food? The next year she got her toys, and wanted to know where her hot chocolat was. So now I have to get her that every year or I'm in trouble... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:53 AM

I have to say the best gift I received was some years ago now. It was a Steinway baby grand piano,from my folks. My daughter now plays it so beautifly. That makes it the best. My use and now hers,for years it has brought me(and others) great joy.

That sounds like an awesome gift! :thumbsup:

I remember whining about getting socks and underwear when I was little.. Does that count?
Now my grand daughter, when she was little asked my wife for some canned chili for Christmas, so I bought her some chili. But what good is chili without crackers? So I bought her some crackers and hot chocolat too. I also bought her a hand made wooden merry go round toy, just so she didn't think I didn't like her. But she started whining and asking if all she got was food? The next year she got her toys, and wanted to know where her hot chocolat was. So now I have to get her that every year or I'm in trouble... :flowers:

Kids, what can you do?? :trumpet:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

Re: I remember whining about getting socks and underwear when I was little.. Does that count? ... yup, that counts, Wildabeast - in fact, I suspect there's not a kid around who doesn't object to this type of gift!

And wrappings count too, believe it or not. Still remember my 3 year old nephew's face when he opened a gift from an elderly aunt - a chocolate box (which made the child's face light up with pure delight) - and inside, the dreaded underwear - eek! The child sobbed and sobbed in disappointment, he simply wanted the chocolates he thought the gift really was.

Isn't it great the gifts that we remember most - whether the 'worse' or the very best! I suspect through the years that some gifts I've given may not have been 'quite right' but it sure isn't for lack of trying :thumbsup:

Although slightly 'off track' here, I'm truly curious ... do most open all gifts at once in their home - or perhaps does each person take turns (to prolong the fun)? And have you ever noticed how very little ones often open one gift - and then immediately disappear with that gift to simply enjoy and play with it? If I remember correctly, it's not until they are around 4 that they figure out there could be more waiting - love it!

Edited by MaraM, 12 December 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

I grew up opening them one at a time so everybody could see what the others got. I've been with my wifes family when they just went at it, not every year, but it's not as fun. We open ours on Christmas Eve, what about you? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:50 AM

I grew up opening them one at a time so everybody could see what the others got. I've been with my wifes family when they just went at it, not every year, but it's not as fun. We open ours on Christmas Eve, what about you? :flowers:

Wildabeast: Normal Aussie tradition is to open your presents on Christmas morning.As a child I can still remember that from Christmas eve to Christmas morning,seemed the longest night of the year.My mother always left food and drink out for busy Santa when he came down the chimney.We all sat around the tree and everyone opened their presents one at a time.I remember, if I got a large present,I bolted into my room and opened it there.I remember it so vividly,as if it was only yesterday.
Certainly, a special time in my life. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 13 December 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:51 AM

Most of the people I know open theirs on Christmas morning. My family was (is) a little odd. But like my wife and I tell people, including my parents, we are the only normal people we know!
Now a days, we open on Christmas Eve and Day, ours on the Eve and we go to the kids in the morning with their presents in the morning and stay for dinner. :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:37 AM

Grinning because my in-laws opened gifts the 'all at once and who knows what anyone got or from whom' method - truly not much fun at all, I agree, Wildabeast.

We're like most of you, we follow my parent's traditions of letting the little ones get up first to discover the magic of their stockings filled by Santa. And these stockings are still 'the' most important part of the day still for our girls and now their own little ones - filled with teeny, tiny gifts not worth much but each chosen and wrapped carefully by Santa, of course. (Bet you didn't know that Santa wraps all gifts, both large and small, with simply brown wrap - grin!). And while the kids are discovering all these tiny things, we're busy brewing the strongest pot of coffee possible to fortify ourselves for the day :flowers:

And we start with delegating a different Santa's helper each year to hand out the gifts one at a time and ooh and aah and have such fun - and this is always following my 'Xmas Morning Bake' (vital for my mental health as none of us can ever cope with cooking a normal breakfast by then!).

Curious about the 'food and drink' your mom always left out, DSTM - was it milk and cookies or perhaps a carrot for the reindeer, or is it something completely different in Australia, I wonder? It's such fun learning about other family's traditions and you've got such great memories of yours and Tink can laugh with your dad about the earrings each year now and I'm still drooling over Boopme's grand piano - wow!

We too now go to our daughter's home for Christmas day, including dinner - with 'orders' to arrive prior to the grandchildren waking up, of course. Suspect this is a small revenge for all those mornings when our own girls were small and they tumbled out of bed anywhere between 3am - 4am! (I never once suspected it was my husband who would wake up in the middle of the night too excited to wait and he'd sneak up the stairs to wake the girls and then tip-toe back to bed - so I could be awakened by the children a few moments later while he pretended to be asleep too! Geesh!).

Have a question about the lovely tradition of opening gifts on Christmas Eve ... curious as to how one explains to the wee ones how Santa's gifts got under the tree that early? (Not that we would ever change our traditions but aah, the thought of sleeping in on Christmas morning :thumbsup:

of delegating on person to be Santa's helper and opening one gift at a time, starting with the youngest child

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:06 AM

When we were little, my dad told us Santa delivered in alphabetical order. Since our last name began with a B, we were among the early deliveries. One year we went driving around to look at lights. When we came home, my Aunt and Uncle were in their car waiting for us, we went in and there were presents under the tree so my dad must have been telling the truth....
It was years later when I thought about that night and figured out what happened. :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#15 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:44 AM

Wonderful explanation to give children! Will have to remember that Santa delivers in alphabetic order :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users