Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

lately i have recieved an update to my windows media player through windows xp updates, unfortunately this update, updates wmp to wmp 11 which you need to validate first, and like the many posts i have made i do not have a genuine copy of xp, as the seller did not give me a genuine copy. i can now no longer access wmp. whats the deal, is there a way around this. or should i speak to microsoft custumer service?

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 December 2006 - 09:45 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

What I would try is to uninstall WMP11 and reboot. Than it will go back to WMP10.. Obviously there are other good players . Check the link on free programs in my sig.

#3 Samtam

Samtam

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:11 AM

I have a genuine Windows Media Player, but for some reason it does not open/operate. I have tried downloading the new MP11, and whilst it says it has completed the download etc, and I have re-started my computer, it doesn't work. Can you advise how I can get back my original MP, or why I might be having problems installing MP11. Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

You will continue to face problems like this as long as you have a bad copy of XP - and you'll be fighting constantly.

I'd suggest a call to Microsoft - they may even offer you a legit copy if you turn in the person who sold it to you.

As the anti-piracy methods get deeper and deeper into the OS, you'll find that it's easier just to bite the bullet and get a legit copy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Samtam

Samtam

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:45 AM

I have a genuine Windows Media Player, but for some reason it does not open/operate. I have tried downloading the new MP11, and whilst it says it has completed the download etc, and I have re-started my computer, it doesn't work. Can you advise how I can get back my original MP, or why I might be having problems installing MP11. Thanks.

Grateful for assistance. Now I have managed to get up the screen, but then nothing plays. Since the first few times of that, nothing again. Any bright ideas to help restore WMP??

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Any bright ideas to help restore WMP??

Which one do you want? Here ya go with older versions. If you are able to rollback but not sure if it did it without errors, you can try installing your version over itself to replace any corrupt files.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp

Make a System Restore backup before doing anything, just in case!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users