Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Slow, Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thaundying04

thaundying04

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

This is my setup

MS Windows XP SP2
AMD Duron Processor, 95MB RAM, SiS 630/730

I don't know what kind of video or sound card I have, I don't play that much games or watch that much movies, but I know that I would like more ram (probably 512), and a quicker processor for music, surfing, etc. Any suggestions on how I would get the most bang for my buck for parts (including an estimate on labour).

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

Oof. A computer that old I have to ask you one thing.
Is the processor the square 90nm with a heatsink or is it the plug in one?

#3 thaundying04

thaundying04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

The 90nm

#4 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

Well.. you may need to upgrade your motherboard.. But if you don't want to you.. you need a socket A
And probably PC 100 or DDR 400.
newegg only has one A processor now.
Yeah, your best bet is getting a new motherboard.
And my mistake, A is 130nm.

unless u wanna order a decent socket a processor from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Barton-Athlon-XP-3...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 09 December 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#5 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi there,
I am surprised your PC moves at all, with only 95megs of RAM running XP. With RAM, you are limited by the maximum the motherboard can handle and how many slots. I was trained to always buy the biggest stick available. They talk in the realm of 1GIG of RAM now; and my new piece-of-junk PC will hold a max of 2gigs of RAM. Virus/Spy protection programs take lots of RAM in themselves. It's ez to install RAM, just make sure the biggest stick is in the first slot. You also have to know the speed, such as PC100 or PC2700. Even PC100 RAM is expensive these days and hard to find. In fact, I think it has been tossed out and the minimum is PC 130...

Archer is probably more familiar with hardware, but, dontcha think its time to get a new PC? I ended up spending about 450 on mine, because it only came with 512 of RAM and I needed to add a gig. ($80 was cheap). And the OEM software was a real ripoff. I didn't get an XP CD.

I kept my old machine, still humming on Win98, loaded with software that works. BLEEP Microsoft for discontinuing support and cramming Vista into the arena: it has hardware requirements so the old machines are going to be good money wasted.

Just my opinion, and a bit of experience.
Best of luck,
Joanne
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#6 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

It'd probably be a good idea to get a pre-built computer with XP already on it. Just upgrade the RAM or video card or whatever and you're set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16883107184
I just don't think you can have dual core on this pc

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 09 December 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

If you're buying XP - wait until Vista is released around Jan 31st. The price of XP systems should plummet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users