Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Installation Of Windows Xp Sp1 Failed Terribly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lindakipp

lindakipp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hello,
people I know tried to install Windows XP SP1 onto their new HD. Instead of installing Windows onto the local disk (C:), Windows was installed onto one of their removable disks, here (H:).

This is the first time I ever heard that this could happen. I do not have an answer how that problem can be solved, so that Windows XP can be installed onto drive C:

Have you got the answer for me? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Linda

Edited by lindakipp, 09 December 2006 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:48 AM

There are several possible solutions here:
1) Just install Windows on the C: drive
2) Just install Windows on the C: drive, wipe the H: drive, and edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to the installation on the H: drive
3) Wipe both drives and start over from fresh.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

I'm wondering if you just didn't notice the two drives when you installed so you didn't highlight C for your destination.

If you want to start over totally clean, I've found it's easier to use fdisk in DOS with a Windows 98 boot disk. You can do that to get in and remove the drive partition(s) before installing on C from your XP CD. If you want you can also remove C, then recreate it to add the space H was using. Or after getting XP on your C drive, go back to fdisk to create and format H again.

Since I prefer Fat32, I also format c while I'm there, then it's just a couple of clicks on the XP Cd to start the install.

Edited by mommabear, 10 December 2006 - 09:56 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

[quote name='mommabear'
Since I prefer Fat32, I also format c while I'm there, then it's just a couple of clicks on the XP Cd to start the install.
[/quote]

Why do you prefer FAT files over NTFS files which are faster, not to mention the fixed maximum number of clusters per partition with FAT, this becomes more important with the larger hdds?

Edited by dc3, 10 December 2006 - 12:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

First off, my HD is only 30 GB, so large HD support is not a big issue for me.

When XP first came out, I had problems restoring some important files that I had in Windows Me. No such problems when restoring them to XP in Fat32. It's been years so I don't remember what they were, what exactly happened, or if there might have been a fix to be found for it. Since then, I've just always stuck with Fat 32. Also Fat 32 gets you into real DOS mode. I can't explain that technically and the "guru" who can is on another forum which just happens to be down right now. He's also stated a lot of other reasons why he prefers Fat32 to NTFS; and when he works on computers commercially, he always sets them up for Fat32. Basically, he says Fat32 is just easier to use when you have to really work on the bowels of the OS.

Do I never get a BSOD or a freeze? No, I can't say never. But it happens so infrequently that I can't remember the last time I saw the color blue staring me in the face.

Now, the difference for me may be that I'm not a power user on my computer. I don't have the latest graphics-sound cards, play all the big fancy games online, work a lot with media. I'm not networked to other computers. I do email, browse on the net, convert and burn movie now and then, or burn a music cd. I do like playing with different software from time to time, but I basically run lean and mean with just the software installed that I use regularly. I can image my entire system on one DVD without compression. I don't go overboard, but I am big on periodically cleaning out my temp and junk files and keeping my registry cleaned up.

And maybe there's another reason why I don't care for NTFS. It's got all those goodies (using resources), that for me, I find unnecessary.

Truth be told, I only upgraded to XP because the newer computers had it. So when the family would ask me for help with their XP machines, I needed to know what I was looking at. I had Windows Me running like a top doing just what I do now. She was lean and mean too and blue screens were rare for me. If it wasn't for helping the family with XP and my old eyes (ClearType is a godsend), I'd go back to Windows Me in a flash.

Edited by mommabear, 10 December 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Just a couple thoughts here:

1) My computer has the recovery disk portion in a separate partition and is in FAT format. The OS itself is on NTFS

2) Most important: I see from the original post that Drive H is a removable disk. Before installing the OS, all removable disks should be removed from the computer. Doing so will prevent the kind of error your friend experienced. Any extras should also be removed. Enthusiast knows more about that stuff than I do.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

Fat32 is easier to work with from a boot disk than NTFS is. But, there's utilities out there that make this unnecessary.

I'd recommend the NTFS because of the added security features - although FAT32 still does have it's place because of it's simplicity.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users