Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Orginizing Web Sites In My Favorites

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

Howdy,

I have many web sites that I have stored in" My Favorites". (40-50) I can not figure out how to bring the sites I most visit towards the top. (usually 4 to 5 sites I visit on a daily basis)

In other words ,I continually scroll down to try to find the sites I most frequent and try to pick them out of the batch.

Could someone please tell me how to organize " My Favorites".

I have given it a shot many times with no success.

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

( Windows XP Home SP 2 IE-7 )

Edited by jgweed, 10 December 2006 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hover your cursor over the link you want to move. Hold down the left clicker and move your cursor where you want the link. I know, that is about as clear as mud. If you have a problem with the instruction, I will try to do better.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply buddy215.

I hovered over a web site that I would like to move to the top. When I did that, a ghost of the link ( lack of better words) appeared.

I then moved the cursor to the top of the MY Favorites list and released it. Nothing happened. The original web site was still in first place. ??

Please advise where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

Edited by Dennis H, 09 December 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

Did a line appear and move when you moved your cursor while holding down the left clicker? If so, the line designates where the link will be located when you release the left clicker.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

Yes a line appears as soon as I move (hover) the cursor over the chosen web site. I then left click and hold it down. I then drag that particular web site into the fist position in My Favorites.

When I release the left click the web site that I tried to move to the top will load that web site, however the original site in first position is still there. In other words it is not replaced by the web sit that I tried to drag into that position.

I hope I am making some sort of sense. I will follow directions. The best I can. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 09 December 2006 - 06:22 PM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

You are moving the line too far up.

Edited by buddy215, 09 December 2006 - 06:56 PM.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

You are moving the line too far up.

I am not sure what you mean buddy215. When I drag the web site up I align it directly over the web site I am trying to replace. The line is almost exactly over the line of that site.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:28 AM

Okay, try this. Instead of moving all the way to the top, leave the line below the top link and release. Now the link you wanted to move up should be second on the list from the top.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Okay, try this. Instead of moving all the way to the top, leave the line below the top link and release. Now the link you wanted to move up should be second on the list from the top.

No dice, I tried. When you say leave the line below the top link do you mean line it up on the second link, or in between the first and second link ??

I guess it does not matter because I tried it both ways and had no luck.

Thanks for you time buddy215. I am keeping the faith !

I will stand by.

EDIT: I just found this. Maybe it is the answer ??? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/about/customizelinks.mspx

My main objective is to move the 3 or 4 links that I use on a daily basis to the top of my favorites. For instance Bleeping Computer happens to be in 18th place in "My Favorites".

I want to move it up into the top 3 since I visit the site almost every day.

Dennis :flowers:

Edited by Dennis H, 10 December 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:19 PM

After opening your favorite list, do you see a line at the top that says organize favorites? click on that and a window should open with a list of your favorites on the right side. Move your cursor over the link you want to move up, depress the left clicker and move your cursor to the top of the list and release the left clicker.
I don't know if there is some little thing that you are missing or a step that I am leaving out or if your mouse has problems. How many buttons does your mouse have? right clicker/left clicker/ center wheel---any more?

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

buddy215,

I came across this post while looking for something else.

I re-read your instructions on December 11th and tried again. Everything worked out fine. I thought I came back to the thread and thanked you, but apparently I did not.

Please except my belated thank you. I appreciate your time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users