Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I Think My Computer Is Fried....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

Well the last 2 posts i've put up:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74074/power-failure/

and

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/71485/is-my-computer-overheating/

Basically i had problems with the airflow and my HSF. Then my computer started throwing an error about power failure v3.30. It had to be my heatsink because the Power Supply is brand new...and was working properly even though i had that error.

I was putting a fan on my computers components to make sure it doesnt over heat. For the last 3 days my room has been frosty cold, and no issues with over heating.

I came home last night though to a frozen screen, was frozen for 7 hours. I restarted, assumed it was just a random even.

Went to turn on, and it wouldnt. Weird.

Off for a few minutes, back on...everythings cool.

Computer Froze after I put in my admin password for windows. Weird.

I restart, it froze during the window's boot screen with the progress bar...weird....

I restarted, got all the way to the web half way to this site, and froze in its tracks again.

Retarted...well you get the idea.

Im thinking its hardware and has to do with the issues i stated above, however I dont know much to link them together. I assume I fried something. So i need to know what though

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

Perhaps your room is.. too cold?

#3 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well I had to bring my computers temperature down some how, so the fan was a necessity if i wanted to keep using it. But after a day of the fan being on and the windows closed, the room was chilly...

Noi dont think thats it

#4 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:45 AM

So no one has any insight?

#5 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:38 AM

ok so have you replaced your HSF or removed it at all? because if you did you might not have the HSF set installed correctly. I would follow these instructions http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

have you tried blowing out the dust with a can-o-air?

and also dont keep your computer case "open" it defeats the purpose of even putting a case fan in your computer. and will just make your comp run more hot.

and if heat is not an issue have you added any other hardware or made any changes, installed any new programs?

you can also try updating your bios.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:24 AM

Let's go back to your 3.3V reading error, did you look to see what that rail is putting out? If the rail isn't producing the proper voltage it could prove to be what's causing your instability issues.

As for the heat issue, you've been given some good advice, follow up on it. If you have previously taken the heatsink assembly apart then you may need to disassemble it and clean the mating surfaces and reapply the thermal compound. what does the BIOS say your HS fan speed is?

Edited by dc3, 10 December 2006 - 04:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:33 AM

well, I didnt just replace the heatsink...moneys been tight which is why i wasnt able to do anything with it even though i have major problems.

Can-o-air, got it. Will do.

Why will it make my computer run more hot? Granted, i get that it doesnt get the hot air isnt able to be pushed out, but my computer is running THAT hot that it wouldnt matter. The fan on it is really what keeps it from completely burning out.

What started this heat issue is when i added my video card. ATI radeon, 128meg. It HAS to be why my system is heating up so bad because I've had a computer short because of..pretty mcuh, the same problem. Then after putting this video card in, i notice my computer overheating.

Evidence points to this, I probally just dont have the proper circulation of air (VERY small case with no side vents) and the heat sink could probally be stronger.

Im a real novice to all this, so pardon the questions. Be patient, i really want to learn.

I dont follow what you said about the 3.3V reading error. It SOMETIMES comes up, sometimes it doesnt. Right now, it didnt show up and my computers running fine for now. How would I see what rail is putting out?

I'll also take your advice about disassembling the heatsink.

Thanks everyone for the advice, ir eally appreciate it. Im sorry for pushing for answers, im just trying to fast track the issue before it becomes a huge problem on money

#8 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

well your right running the computer with the sides off will not make that big of a difference, but everything helps.-

first off we still need to konw what temp your CPU is running at.

second thing, i dont think poor circulation would cause your computer to overheat up to 80c degrees.

as far as the 3.3v goes- you should be able to view that under the bios health status, along with your cpu temp.

if the power the power suply seems to be the issue than try swapping it out.

also if try swapping our, or removing your video card, i have seen where this would cause a system to go haywire. and some times updating your bios and chipsets helps.

also is your power supply big enough, the more fans and extra stuff you put in your computer the larger power suply you would need. i would say if you put in that new video card and your computer started messing up, you might just need a bigger one.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#9 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

from another topic i posted...

okay, computer without any kind of "stress"

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83637HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 35 C (95 F)
CPU 77 C (171 F)
Aux 61 C (142 F)
Seagate ST380020A 47 C (117 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4561 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.68 V
CPU Aux 3.20 V
+3.3 V 3.12 V
+5 V 5.11 V
-12 V -14.91 V
-5 V -7.71 V
Debug Info V C9 C8 C3 BE FF 00 00 23 (01)
Debug Info T 35 77 61

-----------

Now let me turn on a game and see how those numbers change

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83637HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 C (102 F)
CPU 81 C (178 F)
Aux 66 C (151 F)
Seagate ST380020A 47 C (117 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4441 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.69 V
CPU Aux 3.20 V
+3.3 V 2.90 V
+5 V 5.11 V
-12 V -14.91 V
-5 V -7.71 V
Debug Info V CA C8 B5 BE FF 00 00 27 (01)
Debug Info T 39 81 66

That was the issue a while ago, and I think its how it typicall runs.

this was before i started having problems with the voltage.
---------------------

Its obvious that its my video card. It started after I installed it, and only has problems with graphic intense applications (Photoshop, games, etc etc).

While i look at my heatsink now, itlooks like it is very dirty and that probally is a big problem. But i cant seem to get over the idea that my heatsink might not be strong enough for my system.

It could handle the onboard graphics card, but i think a boost from 32 to 128 could probally make it work too hard and go hot...right?
----------------------------

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

You are frying your CPU. Even if you haven't reached the "maximum", the added heat will greatly lessen the lifespan of your system. Well below that ttemp Windows will refuse to work.

Temps above 50 C are to be avoided (except maybe with a Prescott - then 55 are to be avoided). Your CPU is rated between 85 and 90 C for it's maximum temp - and that is not the normal running temp! CPU Max Temp links: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/...peratures.shtml
http://www.gen-x-pc.com/cputemps.htm

The mobo temp is too high also - you'll need more airflow into and out of the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Your 12V and 5V rails are out of spec on top of your overheating issues.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#12 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

IMO you have a bad power supply that is providing improper voltage and not enough cooling. Get a high quality heat sink fan and at least one more case fan, if not two. This unit is super heating.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users