Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Setup Error Code 0x7b

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

Error message has some non-alpha/numeric characters in it. I would have to add the picture to show you all of the message:

Windows XP Setup
Setup was unable to open information file hide [weird characters]
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7b at line 2088999592.

I have no idea what this means :thumbsup:

I have been following the instructions for cleanup; got Ad-Aware running and it found some Registry problems. Norton System Works also found invalid Registry references, I let it clean. Still working on getting Spybot downloaded and updated, have not run it yet. I went to the Windows free One Care scan at http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm, selected full scan, agreed to the EULA, and the window closed.

I often get booted off an Explorer session that has security fixes associated with it.

Thank you for any enlightenment you can offer. I have a picture of the weird characters, they are on my PC, but clicking the option to enter a picture sends me to a box to enter an http:// script. There's no browse option to upload the picture.

Thanks again,
Jo
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

How to troubleshoot "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

I'd suggest a HiJackThis log posted here (please read the instructions first): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

The reason for this is that you're getting errors when you try to run security stuff - this is a symptom of an infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

I really appreciate your swift replies. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Terr..i..75, The first thing suggested on the MS KB article was to reload my machine. It came with OEM software that wipes the disk, and requires reload while online. A dumb deployment method since there's no protection while I'm loading XP and all the other junk that came with the CD. I've done it several times, lose my backed up Outlook mail, settings, and it takes forever to delete the OEM junk programs and reload my settings. The machine seemed to worked fine when I got rid of MS One Care and Defender. Then I reloaded Defender, just to have backup security and here I am again...

I will never buy Norton again; and I turned off its options to take care of Win downloads and the firewall and restored the tasks to WinXP. I think Norton is compromised; and my machine was wildly busy for awhile. Not sure what it is doing but there are fewer tasks running.

John, I have been working on the setups for the Hijack THIS log. I keep getting stuff to work on, and will send a log as soon as I do everything I can see to do. I have even seen Notepad referenced: is there a hole in it as well?

I'll be back when I complete the steps to do a Hijack This report. Thanks again. You people are great.

Joanne

#5 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

Greetings,

Since I joined the board, I have been following directionsin preparation for a HijackTHIS report.

I added descriptions of some of my problems in

Runtime Error Visual C++ Runtime Library, msiexec.exe problem (perhaps that entry should be moved here; it describes

problems I am still having).

2. When I called Microsoft. They had me enter Safe Mode; use My Computer to delete Perflib_Perfdata; clean up unnecessary

files using Start-Run [Prefetch] and [%temp]; empty the Recycle Bin and run http://safety.live.com full service scan. It

found 0 ports open; .08MB of temp files and ****-> 244 <---*** invalid Registry items. I let it delete them all.

3. I ran Ad-Aware after that, it found 13 running processes and 3 critical objects which I let it repair.

4. Ran Trend cillin House Call: found tons of worms, spies, etc. and removed all. Don't think I lost data. It reran since it

found stuff,and came clean.

I restarted the machine, did some e-mailing and surfing, and let Norton and Webroot do their scans. They found nothing. I

also did a Win disk clean and defrag... I do defrags often.

5. I rechecked the Windows XP Setup and got the same crazy error message with non-alpha/numeric characters in it. Here is the

error message:

Win xp unable to open information file [hide -!oo] (non ascii) error code is 0x7b at line 2088999592.
WINDOWS XP SETUP APPLICATION COULD NOT BE INITIALIZED... same as before

After I did the cleanup with Microsoft Safety Dept, I followed T.Terri.75's instructions for re-installing Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (which did not show up in Add/Remove Programs). I also cleaned up .NET Framework and reloaded 1.1 and 1.1 SP1. They reported completing successfully.

6. Getting the Runtime Error Visual C++ errors again, related to Norton.

7.Get references AGAIN to the notepad startup error; which Microsoft seemed very concerned about. Here are the error messages from adaware:

Name:Windows
Category:Vulnerability
Object Type:RegData
Size:15 Bytes
Last Activity:12/13/2006
Relevance:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:
Description:General Windows Security Issue. Your system security may be compromised. The specifics of the possible

compromised item are listed in the comments section.

Name:Windows
Category:Vulnerability
Object Type:RegData
Size:15 Bytes
Last Activity:12/13/2006
Relevance:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:
Description:General Windows Security Issue. Your system security may be compromised. The specifics of the possible

compromised item are listed in the comments section.

Also, the subjects covered in How to troubleshoot "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP suggested by Terri.75 do not seem related to the stuff I see.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate the invite to submit a Hijack This report; that will be my next entry, and I will not try to do any more fixes until I get a reply.

Thanks, people. You are great.

Joanne :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users