Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Will Not Boot Up Once Wireless Newtork Card Installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseW

LouiseW

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Please can someone advise

I had the old unreliable belkin usb wirelss network adapter which was unreliable, ie kept disconnecting form the network

I bought a belkin wirelss G desktop network card, the one that slots into the internal PCI slot

When I try to reboot to have the system fid and identify the new hardware, my oc will not even boot up - it starts but thats it!!

I have tried the card in another PC and it wirks fine there

Belkin say it is a fault with my PCm, which is a brand new HP Compaq pentium 4 - I bought it from Dabs so have no local HP customer support

has anyone come acroos this problem? I am really busy at work at the moment and do not have the time to sit on the phone to a help desk for days on end, being passed form one person to another (which is what happened with belkin only to be told they cannot help

Thanks

Louise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

What is the model of your WIFI card? What are the specifications of your computer, OS, Type of Internet connection, other hardware on your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 LouiseW

LouiseW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

WiFI card is P57463uk-B part # F5D7000uk

PC is a new HP compaq DC51000, pentium 4, windows XP - all the standard stuff

Louise

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

Could be fault with the PC - but also could be a fault with the card. Cards are cheaper than PC's. See if you can get another one (if you've gotta buy, check to see if they'll accept returns) to try.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 LouiseW

LouiseW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

The card is fine - I tried it out on another PC

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

Well, if it works on another PC, then it's most likely that the fault lies with your PC.

Have you tried it in another slot? Have you tried it in Safe Mode (just a shot in the dark really)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 LouiseW

LouiseW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Hi John

there are 2 slots - neither are any good

How do I start up in safe mode? I do not even get a signal to my screen. The led on the front of the hard disk comes on but not even the sound of boot up!

Louise

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

This isn't sounding real good. If you don't get any screen at all, then it's a problem with that card and your system. Since the card works in other systems, then the only thing left is that there's a problem with your system.

Depending on how new it is, I'd contact the folks where you bought it or the folks at HP to see if this is a warranty item. Normally they'll exchange it for a new one rather than hassle with repairing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users