Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Connections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 139ricky

139ricky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hi all!
I seem to have lost (or accidentally moved or deleted) the "My Connections" folder shortcut from the start menu. It disappeared about a week ago.....! I did have a connection problem, which was a line fault, and I did use the installation disk to reinstall drivers. I do not know if that is when my icon disappeared! How can I re-enable/install it? Where is it? I have searched and cannot see it, or am not searching properly

I can establish a connection, by starting IE or outlook, as connection is configured to start automatically, but cannot view the connection, or close it manually. I am using BT home highway, with BT drivers

Thanks
R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

Try going to Control Panel, select the Classic View, then select Network Connections.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 139ricky

139ricky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, John.

I am looking at control panel in Classic view, and when I open network connections there are none shown.

When i refresh the view I get an error message " The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters running on your machine. Please make sure Network connections service is enabled and running"

I guess I have disbled something, but cannot figure what! I am going to explore.

R

#4 139ricky

139ricky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

Further info that I failed to give in initial post - Mea culpa.:

Win XP with current updates and SP2. 1 Gb RAM. Processor Intel P4, 2.4 Ghz.

There are no icons in NW connections & when I try to make a new network connection (using New Connection Wizard) error message:
"Unable to create the specified connection. This can be caused by insufficient memory or not enough disk space."

Thanks
R

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Since you've got 1 gB of RAM - how much free disk space do you have? Have you run the Disk Defragmenter recently?

Other options are:
1) SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

2) A repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 139ricky

139ricky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for ideas, will investigate.

FYI Free space on C: 5 Gb (of 9.76 Gb)
Also free space (on partition) drive F: 39 Gb of 66

Defragged regularly.

I will try a repair - I am baffled by the error message, about " cannot retrieve list of network adapters"

The device manager shows internal network adapter, and USB modem both working, although I have now disabled Network adapter in case there was a conflict.

Services.msc shows nework connections running.

Any further thoughts will be most welcome

R

#7 139ricky

139ricky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

Happy New Year USAMA & to anyone reading this! After a break for Christmas and a bit more digging I found this on Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/...33&id=74335
Article ID : 254631

After working thro' all the fixes all is well. (I think it was registering the DLL's that fixed it) The start menu "My Connections" shortcut now shows as "Connect to" and shows appropriate connections and wizards. Still do not know how I lost it!

Hope this is of assistance to others

R

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

I'm glad that you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know - it's sure to help someone else who's in a similar bind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users