Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wd "my Book" Essential Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been considering a hard drive upgrade from the paltry 7GB IBM currently in the system..is the Western Digital My BOOK any good since it is only $99...thanks..

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

I believe that the Western Digital My BOOK series are external hard drives. The Essential Edition drive has only a USB 2.0 connection and the Premium Edition USB 2.0 or FireWire.

If you are looking to replace an internal drive, My BOOK is not what you are looking for. Also if you are you are looking to replace an internal drive you can certainly beat that price. I suggest Seagate (5 Year warrantee).

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

Also before you purchase a drive you may want to look into what sort of large sized drives your system can support. If a 7GB drive is your system's original hard drive you may be looking at a BIOS and/or OS limitation in terms of how large your hard drive can be.

Here's a list of the common limitations.
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/index.html
Posted Image

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Hi ya,

Thanks for your opinions.

I did forget to add that the 7GB hard drive I am using only has that capacity because it was taken from an OLD DELL Dimension to replace a failing hard drive on a comp pronounced dead on arrival when it was given to me..The comp that the 7GB HDD is serving is actually a custom built comp with a BioStar mainboard although the exact mobo model escapes me..suffice to say that it is able to support crucial's ballistix series memory while my dell dimension 3000 is not able to support same.

...this leads me to believe (as a novice) that the support on the custom for large hard drive capacity may not be that bad given that it is able to support more modern memory types...am i wrong to make such an assumption and does there exist a site such as crucial that can scan ones computer to determine what hardware can be supported...

Thanks for your input..it is very valuable..:-)

Darren

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

If you download SIW you can find out exactly what your motherboard is, or just about anything else you would like to know about the computer. It is freeware.

As for the size of the hdd being recognized, the old barrier of 137GB still applies to W2k and XP without the service pack update.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

What is the service pack update?...will it download with automatic updates? or is there a specific way of getting it?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:51 AM

If you've got SP2, you've got the update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

Thats good to know..thanks Usasma..:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users