Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowcomputer-slow Startup,randomfreezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alisterio

alisterio

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

I've been through all the things on the checklists...It still takes my computer around 3-5 mintues to start up. Sound is choppy on startup. And oh yea, I got the "blue screen" when transferring files from one drive to another last night, and files take a LONG time do transfer between my ipod, or just between partitions, and burning data DVDs take 45mins-an hour on Nero's highest data burning setting. An old Toshiba I had would do them in 5-10 minutes using Sonic.

However, once it starts up, it seems to run OK, though it can't handle many programs at once despite 1GB Ram and 1.7 gb processor, and the above slowness. Internet is fine, downloading speeds are normal, and watching/listening to streams is OK

It is an a Acer Aspire and is only 2 months old and has been this way since almost the beginning.

What do I do next? Does this sound like hardward? I had the computer shipped from the U.S. to Spain - could it have taken a knock that would produce problems like this?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by alisterio, 09 December 2006 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Try using bootvis ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 ). Although it's not supported on XP, it will run. Use it to analyze your startup and let us know what's taking the most time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

Well, I ran the program and I got two graphs

I ran a boot and drivers trace and it came back with, on the next start up a graph for

Disk I/O and Disk Utilization

I can't tell from that what is taking so much time.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

Bootvis doesn't seem to like to work on systems with HyperThreading - I'm looking into it right now, but my system has chosen this time to perform a full scan with AVG both on my system and in my virtual machines. Things are slow right now - so I'm waiting.......
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Drat!! Can't fix it! I'm gonna have to look into other boot tracers. In the meanwhile, I'd suggest that you enable boot-logging and spend some time (it's a long log) looking for problems in it. You can enable boot logging by starting to start the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 as Windows starts to load) and choosing the enable boot logging option.

#6 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

Where do I find the bootlog?

Btw, another thing this bleeping computer does, is occasionaly freezes and if I lift it up and rotate in 90 degrees, it unfreezes...that can't be normal cause I'm not Fonzie

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

Generally the bootlog is located in the Windows directory - as I recall it's called ntboot... or something similar (I'm using a new virtual machine of XP and it hasn't had a boot log yet.).

#8 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

In the meanwhile, I'd suggest that you enable boot-logging and spend some time (it's a long log) looking for problems in it.

Found it, it's called ntbtlog.

But I wouldn't know a problem from something normal.

should I post it here?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

No - it's way too long. Search for "fail" (open in Notepad and use the "find" function in it. Let us know about any lines that mention "fail". This isn't a surefire cure - since the "failure" may not show anything if it's merely the system taking a long time (rather than failiing).

#10 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

No "fail" s found....but lots of lines of did not load, but then again I've disabled a lot of things.

fail to load WAN Miniport (L2TP) came up 125 times on the log along with lots of other things.

Edited by alisterio, 10 December 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Did the WAN Miniport fail to load - or did not load. But, either way it may be significant. That many attempted loads suggests a problem with this device.

Try uninstalling your network card drivers, then install the latest version available from the manufacturer's website.

#12 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:30 AM

Did the WAN Miniport fail to load - or did not load. But, either way it may be significant. That many attempted loads suggests a problem with this device.

Try uninstalling your network card drivers, then install the latest version available from the manufacturer's website.

nothing "failed" to load.

These are all the things that don't load (actually there quite a few others), and never are listed as having loaded (a couple on this list are repeted, but it seems as though the machine tries to do it around 125 times. I have not tried to uninstall my network card drivers because it seems as you think that was the only thing that didn't load.

Did not load driver ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver Infrared Port
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver Infrared Port
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver AMD K8 Processor
Did not load driver AMD K8 Processor

Edited by alisterio, 11 December 2006 - 01:32 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

Was this a log of a regular mode or Safe Mode boot? If it was a Safe Mode boot, lot's of stuff won't load. Since you've enabled boot logging, it should continue to log - so you can reboot and get a regular mode boot log also (I copy/paste them into Excel for comparison purposes).

There are several devices that load/try to load that will use your network card. My suspicion is that there's a problem with a driver/drivers in the network intialization and that an uninstall/reinstall should set it right.

But with all the other stuff that didn't load, this could also be a corruption of your motherboard/chipset drivers (

#14 alisterio

alisterio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

Was this a log of a regular mode or Safe Mode boot?
There are several devices that load/try to load that will use your network card. My suspicion is that there's a problem with a driver/drivers in the network intialization and that an uninstall/reinstall should set it right.

But with all the other stuff that didn't load, this could also be a corruption of your motherboard/chipset drivers (

This was a normal boot mode.

How do I know if it is hardware or not.

As far as uninstalling the network cards, etc...is that just by going into the device manager and deleting them? Are they what are called Network Adaptos...

#15 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

If you pick up the computer and turn it 90 degreees for it to unfreeze then I would suggest a losse connection or loose motherboard shorting against the case.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users