Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Organise Ie Favorites/bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robsamui

robsamui

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

Hi!

Over the last year I've accumulated hundreds of unsorted links in my favorites, and now I want to organise and compile them neatly.

The big problem is that from inside IE, you can only select one at a time - then you have to wait forever to drag it to the appropriate folder.

What I want is a quick and easy way to highlight multipe links, and move them to the right folder.

I've tried exporting them and then editing the HTML file in Frontpage, but when imported back again into IE, the result is to remove every single folder entry and display them as a huge list in the root of the bookmarks folder.

Is there a SIMPLE editor that I can use?

I don't want a huge and complex program that gives pictures and thumbnails of every website - I just want to MANAGE and EDIT them!

Cheers

Rob!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

If you are using IE6,have you tried Organize Favorites under the Favorites menu?(Don't know how much it's changed in IE7)
You can click on "create new folder" to start your organization process,then click "move existing bookmarks" to the new folder.You can also rename or delete folders.
This has to done one at a time however.
If you have hundreds,it may take a little while but will be well worth it!
FYI,Firefox has a really good bookmark managing system.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

As far as I know what you want to do, cannot be done without a third party application. And there are there are relativly very few out there.

A friend uses one but I personally have never used it. It has a 30 day try before you buy option. Take a look at the features list and see if this is something that will work for you. Bookmark Buddy

Be (Lots of URL's) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hi robsamui, :thumbsup: to BC

Your best bet at this point would be to navigate to where IE stores your bookmarks and organize them from inside that folder. IE stores your bookmarks as individual files here: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Favorites

Inside this folder are all your favorites and IE's Links folder. Any folders you create inside here will show as folders in your favorites menu in IE so it will be easier to organize them from here then it would be to use software to do it for you. Just navigate to the favorites folder create any topic folders you wish to create and then select and drag your individual link files to the appropriate folders and you are done.

The way I use my Favorites folder is I put all my category folders inside the Links folder because this allows me to have access to my Favorites from the Links toolbars on both the taskbar and on IE's toolbars as well. This allows me easy access to my links both before and after IE is opened.

Posted Image

As you can see you can create folders inside folders so you can get a large number of links inside a small space if you organize your links into categories and sub-categories.

To add the Links tool-bar to the Taskbar simply right click on the taskbar go to the toolbars option and select Links. A shortcut to the Links folder will appear on the the lower right side of your taskbar by the Notification area (the clock). To add the Links option to IE itself right click on an open area of IE's toolbar and select Links on the drop down menu and a shortcut will appear on IE's toolbar as well.

This will still take you awhile to finish but will be worth the effort when you are done.

Have fun

See you around :flowers:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

Offtopic : @ ronbo any chance of getting that picture??Posted Image

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

Offtopic : @ ronbo any chance of getting that picture??Posted Image

Just ask and you shall receive :thumbsup:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061016.html

FYI: That little blue dot on the left hand side of Saturn's bright inner rings is the Earth.

#7 robsamui

robsamui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Ronbo - excellent!

That's just what I was looking for. A few days ago I spent hours hauling and dragging the scattered favorites one at a time (from inside IE) and dropping them into folders - I gave up but was only one tenth done!

From inside the folder the way you advised, I can select entire groups of links (ctrl & select) and move whole armies off the battlefield with just one movement!

THANKS!

Rob

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

I thought you would like it. :flowers:

IE's anemic bookmark manager may have won the first battle but if you know where to look (which you now do) the war is all but over. Posted ImageNow go and do something productive with those extra hours of your life you have back... like having fun.

See you around :thumbsup:

Edited by Ronbo, 11 December 2006 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users