Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Folders Named After Birds

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mushie

mushie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:56 AM

Hopefully pretty self-explanatory, even though seemingly bizarre. Is this some kind of a virus or a programmer's joke or. . .?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

I have not heard of this before so I'm unsure what to make of it just yet. Did you install any new software just prior to this happening? Is there anything inside the folders? And your saying this automatically happens only when creating a new folder which normally is named "New Folder"?

What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? I would recommend you start there first.

In the meantime I'll check around and see if I can find anything. So far a quick search is not finding any similar reports.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

do you use a program called "all zip" ?
Look here:
http://www.techimo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6807.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

Good find buddy215. The problem was reported in that thread 5 years ago. Never heard of it before so that sounds like the answer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mushie

mushie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Thanks, that was it! Now that I know it is harmless, it is pretty funny. Sure thought I was losing my mind last night, when I made a few new folders and saw "duck, chicken, turkey". Heh. Thanks for the help!!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

Now that was one of the wildest. :thumbsup:
ditto the good find
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

:thumbsup: That happened to me last year, when I installed Al Zip. I flipped. LOL
There is a thread on it of mine here at BC somewhere.
Posted Image

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Some questions regarding this oddity :flowers:

If the user doesn't want to keep a bird name on the folder, can the name be changed?

Is there or is there not any funny business, other than bird-named folders, going on that shouldn't be: spyware, odd EULA agreement etc.?

Do all folders that created get a bird name, or just those that created in connection with using the All Zip program?

I'm tempted to get the program myself, if I can be certain that its only quirkiness is bird-named folders. I'm a bird watcher :trumpet:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

If the user doesn't want to keep a bird name on the folder, can the name be changed?

Yes the name can be changed easily, just as if it was the default windows name of New Folder.

Is there or is there not any funny business, other than bird-named folders, going on that shouldn't be: spyware, odd EULA agreement etc.?

Not that I know of, have had it for a year maybe two and have had no trouble.

Do all folders that created get a bird name, or just those that created in connection with using the All Zip program?

Yes, but just change the name to the one you wish. There may be some setting that you could tweak to prevent it from happening. I don't know I've never looked really. To me it is not that big of a deal. :flowers: When ever you click on desktop and choose "new folder" AlZip has the "bird name" already highlighted ready to delete and then change. I think it is just a silly addition they added for fun.

Since you are a bird watcher, you may get a kick out of seeing the various bird names show. I myself had to look up a couple of them because I had never heard of them. :thumbsup:

Plus it is free. ;)

ALZip v6.32

Clikc to ZOOM on ALZipFREE for home users, ALZip is the easiest to use, most powerful, and by far the cutest compression utility available.
* No Time Limits
* 100% Fully Functional
* 36 archive and compression file formats (More than 36 file extensions)
* Open CD burning file formats: ISO and BIN
* Open virtual CD files: LCD
* Password retrieval
* Create SFX (EXE) files for FREE
* Create spanned archives over 2600 volumes
* Unlimited archive size with ALZ
* More Information...

http://www.altools.net/ALTools/ALZip/tabid/53/Default.aspx

I'm no expert at using it. Just use it for the basics of zipping and un-zipping once in a while.

Edited by Scarlett, 10 December 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Scarlett :flowers:

I've been doing a bit of research on ALZip. I found an article in Wikipedia that said the software was developed in Korea and that 'AL' is a transcription of a Korean word that means 'egg'. I also read in that article that the Korean words used for 'new folder' can also mean 'bird folder.' (I don't think the Korean words appear properly on the page as they show up as question marks which I know is not a Korean letter). I think that is where the English development of the program resulted in bird names for folders: someone with a sense of word fun extended the fun to the folder names. I'll have to ask my Korean students if they know about the program and if indeed the Korean word for 'new' also means 'bird.'

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

Your welcome.

How interesting Orange Blossom! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users