Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer, "windows Xp Start.wav" Sound Keeps Playing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boofie75

boofie75

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:44 PM

Kinda got a case of "fixed it, but have no idea how" here, and I want to try to understand what I did.

I was called over to a friend's house to look at her computer tonight (XP, SP2). It was making a clicking sound every couple of minutes (like the one made when opening a folder, Windows XP Start.wav, I believe it is), but nothing was going on on her desktop - really annoying. I went into sounds, checked and it was the "Start Navigation" command that was using that file. I changed the audio file to make sure, and sure enough, every so often the new audio file would play, just on its own. Her computer was also running extremely slow.

I went into msconfig and disabled all startup programs, then enabled them one by one. I also went into Symantec LiveUpdate and disabled that. The sound had stopped, and the computer seemed to work a bit better, though starting up Windows still took a bit. I noticed that after removing Norton from the startup tab and disabling LiveUpdate, things seemed to improve. I waited about 10 minutes, no Windows XP Start.wav sound.
I also did a scan with Ewido and found 30 medium threat-level instances, which I deleted.

Based on anyone here's experience, could Norton or LiveUpdate have been causing these problems, and what could have been causing the Start Navigation command to be executing? I'm trying to understand this a bit better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

Yes, but I'm biased against Norton. It's a resource hog and it causes all sorts of problems.

I'd uninstall all of the Norton stuff (to include using their removal tool) and try and sell your friend on the free AVG antivirus. Then install whatever your friend chooses.

Then, try this free online scan to catch anything that the Norton may have missed: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

Thanks, usasma. I told her she should uninstall Norton or that I'd do it for her, but she complained that she just spent $60 on it. I installed AVG and disabled the things I posted above, and since things seemed to be working partially better, I told her if she was still having problems to just uninstall. I already installed AVG last night, it's always worked well for me, I just hope that combined with Norton it doesn't open up a new can of worms. I'll have to do that online scan next time I see her.

Edited by boofie75, 09 December 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

DO NOT run both antivirus programs at the same time. Only one should be running in memory! They will conflict and can let viruses through - or can mess up the system.

I'd suggest disabling the Norton and chalking the $60 up as a loss. Would you continue to use a carton of milk that's gone bad just because you paid for it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Make sure the Windows Firewall is running if Norton's isn't being used.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users