Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning To Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hello,
I am thinking of learning to write programmes, but have no idea where to start. I have never tried this before, and was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea of which language to start with, etc. (I have read a little about C++, but I'm not sure if I should start elsewhere or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OxYgEn

OxYgEn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

You could try learning python or pawn first, they're easier than C++.

But if you want to start with C++, go to this site :

www.cplusplus.com

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Read this thread, which discusses at length and from various points of view, the very question you are asking:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1817/what-programming-language-should-i-start-with/

If you have a somewhat logical bent to your mind, are willing to pay attention to detail, and enjoy figuring out problems by yourself, you would certainly enjoy writing code.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:12 AM

The language is not really that important. learn a high level language and you can almost certainly do it in another language. Just change the syntax. Just make sure it is a high level language that you pick. VB or C++ or something like that. After all it is the logical thinking and processes that you need to learn first.
Posted Image

#5 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I looked at cplusplus.com, and that doesn't look all that difficult, so I think I'll start there. Also, I hadn't seen that post before, although I spent a few hours looking around. Guess I missed it somehow, else I wouldn't have asked again.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

Not to worry. Unless you have been here for some time, or participated in the thread at some time, you can easily miss it. I hope you found it interesting, and I think you have made a good choice in C++.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

The language is not really that important. learn a high level language and you can almost certainly do it in another language. Just change the syntax. Just make sure it is a high level language that you pick. VB or C++ or something like that. After all it is the logical thinking and processes that you need to learn first.

agree. But i still think that making a good choice at the beggining can help you and motivate you to keep on going. I am not really wise in programming, but I would also recomend to take a look at Java after you can manage C++ at some level, due to a lot of common things they have, but also the different perspective they take for several cases. The sintaxis is quite similar anyway, so it shouldn't be really hard...

Good Luck mate
Posted Image

#8 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

I am doing C in school right now. I love doing it, but what languages are similar? Seeing as I would like to expand.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

well C++ would be next i would think seeing as the ++ really just means expanded . but its up to you , you might want to check out java also
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#10 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

ok
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users