Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Shutdown Notice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Knight

Omega Knight

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:54 PM

I recieved a shutdown notification while doing a routine restart this past week. The shutdown was for "Medusa_callbackmessage_579" I have never heard of this program before, and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas what the heck it was. I looked on the net and came back negetive on every possible search. Thanks for taking the time to look at this guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/

Way, way, way outta my league! Some networking hardware (like Cisco) uses this. We'll have to start by looking at your network and working from there.

So, what sort of network do you have? Is this a corporate thing, or is it a home network? Do you use any special tools for web programming or networking?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/

Way, way, way outta my league! Some networking hardware (like Cisco) uses this. We'll have to start by looking at your network and working from there.

So, what sort of network do you have? Is this a corporate thing, or is it a home network? Do you use any special tools for web programming or networking?

Ok first answer is the easiest. I use a simple in-home network consisting of my computer, and a router. As to special web programming, or networking tools, I do not believe that is the case. The only thing I can think off of the top of my head is that my security suit, or perhaps the application for accessing the internet may have been updated to include this. I am unsure though. Let me know if there is anything I can log, and post to help find out. But I guess as long as this is not going to endanger my pc it should be ok.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

Was this a notice that the program wasn't ending as it was supposed to? If you can recreate it, try checking the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and use the Processes tab to see if you can figure out which process is doing this (you'll see changes in activity when you click on "End now" for example).

What security suite do you use? What application do you use to access the internet (this is the most likely culprit).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

it was a delayed shutdown notice during standard shutdown. "such and such is shutting down" then it will fill a bar, and sometimes will require the user to click end after that. I did some checking on the site you listed for me, and found a mention of Python. I recognized that program, and looked into my add/remove program listings. Found Python there. I will assume that is the source of that medusa text. I would just like to know now, what exactly does it do?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/ is the best that I can do - I'm not into the stuff it talks about, so it's all "Greek" to me! :thumbsup:

#7 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

ok, thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users