Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Scanners To Be Trusted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

I believe in keeping your computer secure from the internet. I do all the basic safety precautions like Use Firefox, Spybot, Adaware, AVG Free AV, etc etc (updating definitions regularly) but one thing I don't believe in are online scanners (that scan for viruses, trojans, etc). The reason might be silly, but I hate downloading things I don't need to. Are they an effective compliment to what I already have? Should I let go of my fear of using these online Scanners..which one's are the best? Thanks so much.....

Edited by Bernie70, 08 December 2006 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

There are many reputable on-line scanners listed in this pinned BC topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

There are several reasons for using them.
1. No AV is absolutely guaranteed to detect every known instance of malware, even though many use heuristic algorithms in addition to definitions. On-line scans can increase the possibility of detection, but without the downloading and then updating a second (or third) AV application.
2. Some malware specifically targets resident Anti-viruses, generally with the express purpose of making them inoperable. On-line scans thus avoid this and can detect that malware.

Unless your computer shows signs of infection that your own protective applications cannot resolve, an occasional scan on-line is certainly a smart idea.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:06 PM

thansk jgweed...i've ran one of them so far (housecall) since it seemed to be the only one to run on Firefox. I guess I'llhave to dust off my IE to run some of the other ones LOL. Thanks again

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:41 AM

Using Housecall is probably all that you would need under normal circumstances.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users