Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death - Caused By A Soundcard? Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whitewolf2k6

whitewolf2k6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

Earlier this evening, I was watching some videos on Youtube. All of a sudden, the sound started crackling and moments later a BSOD came up and my computer rebooted itself immediately. Everything seems to be fine, but I'm concerned.

I went into the event viewer in administrative tools, and it had the following error log posted:

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer VALUED-A9767827 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{6432202E-659. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My sound has crackled like this before, but it usually only did it for a very short amount of time, like on system sounds. Is the driver for my sound card malfunctioning, or is this something more serious? I just got this computer a few months ago, it's brand new and everything.

Here's my specs:

HP Pavillion dv2000 notebook
1 gig of ram
80 gig hard drive
Intel Centrino Duo processor @ 1.83 GHz
Running on Microsoft XP Professional
Conexant High Definition Audio sound card
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 graphics card

I'm on a university network and I use Firefox 2.0, if that helps. Any advice or ideas to what might have caused this would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by whitewolf2k6, 08 December 2006 - 06:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

The master browser thing is probably not related to this. This is merely a disagreement between 2 computers on the network about which is the "master". They'll fight it out and the issue will be settled without your intervention. Usually it happens because a PC was put into hibernation when it was the master browser - and when it woke up, another system had become the master browser.

We'll need the information from the BSOD in order to help. So, the first thing to do is to disable the automatic restart. Here's how to do it:
1. Click 'Start'
2. Click on 'Run'
3. Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
4. Click on the 'Advanced' tab
5. Click on the 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button
6. Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then click on OK
7. Click on OK to exit the System applet, then close the Control Panel.
8. Reboot for the changes to take effect

This way you'll be able to write down the information on the screen when it happens again. In order to see what info we need, look at this link for information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The next step is to scan your Event Viewer for errors related to the BSOD. Use the link above to see how to do this.

Finally, search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp. If you find any, use the following link to analyze them. Then post the results here for us to have a look at.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 whitewolf2k6

whitewolf2k6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:41 AM

Actually, I ended up discovering Webhancer on my system and just did a full system restore. Hard drive's wiped clean and fresh with a new copy of the OS. Thanks for offering your help, and sorry for the trouble. Is there any way to delete or close the thread?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

Yes there is, but it takes a mod to do it. Just leave it alone and it'll fade away just like an old soldier (From a speech by General MacArthur: "Old soldiers never die they just fade away" )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users