Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound/audio On Me Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

Trying to restore my sound/audio function to my ME computer. About 3 months ago, lost my audio/sound and noticed that I also do not have my audio/sound icon appearing anymore in the tray at the bottom right of my screen. I looked at the control panel and pulled up the device manager, but it appears as though the device and drivers are shown as being ok. When I opened my computer, I discovered that my sound is controlled and generated by the motherboard. Don't understand why this loss of the sound/audio capability and sound Icon has occurred, but I suspect that it's part of a general problem that's been occurring for some time now. My computer will randomly lock up; generate a blank black screen; trigger an uncommanded reboot ; and just generally frustrate me.

At times the computer will not even complete a successful termination, but end in a black, blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Then I would have to switch off power and then reboot the machine which calls scandisk into operation every time.

I use Netscape v7.02, but also have Netscape 4.73 loaded on my harddrive. I am using Netzero as my ISP, and somehow Netzero has identified the Netscape 4.73 as the preferred browser, and automatically loads it whenever I access Netzero, and I will periodically receive a Netscape popup window that says the Netscape has experienced a problem and will now shut down. But only the Netscape 4.73 version shuts down.

I'm at a loss over these problems. Been looking over the various posts here, but can't find anything that even suggests to me what to do, or how, to correct my problems. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:58 PM

Go to start, The control panel Find sound and audio devices Locate the section called volume at the top of the screen and check the box called place volume icon in the taskbar

Hope it helps

#3 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

No luck. Went to the control panel, and found only the "Sound and Multimedia" there. Opened it and didn't find any thing about a section called volume. Looked thru the section and could not find any selection option that would let me place sound on the task bar or any where else for that matter. Don't understand why my ME control panel doesn't have the things that you mention. Any othr things that I could be checking into that you could suggest?

#4 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:46 AM

Sorri mate i was describing it for a windows xp pc but i ve got an windws 98 pc so it should be the same. so il take a look for ya

#5 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:03 AM

Rie this should sort it if it dosent u have uninstalled it
From the Start menu, select either Control Panel, or Settings and then Control Panel.
double-click Sounds and Multimedia
it's near the bottom under "Sound Volume That should work

#6 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Pete. I've got to admit that I'm not to experienced in working thru the Control Panel, and don't understand a lot of what I see there.

I opened the Control Panel Sounds and Multimedia again, and just as you said, the Sound Volume was at the bottom with the check box, and the box is checked to display on the systray. But it's muted and doesn't allow me to adjust the volume, to check or uncheck the display option, and there is no sound icon display on the systray. Any idea why this would be, and what I could do to regain access to change the volume level and the check box display option? Or why would this section of the control panel be muted?

Edited by richie78, 09 December 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#7 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

mate im not to expeericed myself but i dnt now why that didnt work. Have u receently uninstalled driver or anything u didnt mean. Heres a simplr test to find out if u did
Start-allprograms-accessories-entertainment does it say none or is ther programs listed and do u still have paint and note pad

#8 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

mate im not to expeericed myself but i dnt now why that didnt work. Have u receently uninstalled driver or anything u didnt mean. Heres a simplr test to find out if u did
Start-allprograms-accessories-entertainment does it say none or is ther programs listed and do u still have paint and note pad

Thanks for the reply and info. Went to the Start-allprograms-accessories-entertainment section and found everything there, but the Sound/audio appeared to be muted. When I looked at the properties I found that it was a shortcut to the Windows SNDVOL32.EXE file. When I checked to see if this file was on my C:\windows\ directory that the shortcut pointed to, the file was not there. I had made a backup of my C:\ drive sometime ago and went there. The SNDVOL32.EXE file is shown in my backup. Now I really puzzled, and a little confused. What would happen if I just copied this back up file to my active C:\ drive? Would there be some other programs that this file needs to work? I am really unsure about what to do next. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#9 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

Thats wat backups are for its hepls replace any thing that was deleted so i wpuld try replacing the file with the one in the backup!!!!!!

#10 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Pete.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Tried to reload my ME OS to see if this would correct the problem. But it continues. As I said I went to the Control Panel and accessed the Sounds and Multimedia and found the sound volume and the check block to load the Sound icon on the systray, but they are both "grayed out" and don't respond to my mouse cursor. Went to my backup file and tried to execute the SNDVOL32.exe program that I have there, but nothing changed. Program wouldn't run. Don't know if the program is corrupted, or cannot find the motherboard chip to activate the sound. It seems as though the sound chip on the motherboard may have failed, and the SNDVOL32.exe program cannot find it.

Have any idea how I might be able to confirm that my motherboard sound chip is OK? When I look at the Audio and video compression codecs under devices, each of them have two red circles on the left side of the icon, and when either is opened , all of the sub files are also indicated the same way. I don't know what this means, or what to do about it. Any thoughts?

#11 mcnnowak

mcnnowak

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Dude, you can try this or just call me a noob and forget it but, whats your default sound device? If you turn the sound all the way down on say "Real Player" and its your default sound device, it turns off ALL the sound. So... hope i kinda helped...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users