Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Graphics Card For Pci

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

I hope this is the right spot, couldn't think if i should put this in games or hardware.Well anyways, since I can't afford to get a new computer I decided I might just get a PCI graphics card ( ya I know they suck). Well I don't mind having the game on low settings, but what bothers me is trying to shoot guys floating around the screen and then all of a sudden I fall over and die. Well I think someone on this site said this card (I think) is probably the best for PCI, but its still not very good. here

Well give me your input if i can at least play games from around 2005 on low settings without much lag

P.S. I'm getting more ram to so that will probably help to.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, that's the best card for normal PCI, I would really consider possibly upgrading your motherboard!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

i just noticed it says 300 watt power supply, mines only 250 watt.

Oh and also someone on the Dell forum told me that Hard drives in Dell computers cannot be used on a different motherboard without reinstalling windows which I don't have a disc for, and also need revalidation which Microsoft may or may not let me do. So theres more I would have to get. I guess I'll just give up on trying to play new computer games for now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sterling14, 08 December 2006 - 11:52 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:58 AM

Not just Dell hardrives, Microsoft says a new motherboard is pretty much a new computer so you have to revalidate you windows. But with manufactuers like Dell if there's a problem with the motherboard they cna ask Microsoft to validate it.

The reason I say you should possibly get a new motherboard or computer is because PCI is way behind games and I doubt it'll be able ot play a game such as Counter Strike Source in 800x600 well, let alone any new games.

Christmas is coming along, maybe ask Santa for some new parts?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

They have a purple 9250 on newegg somewhere but I'm lazy.
I don't think it needs 300 watts

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:51 PM

Would the 9250 be better then the x1300? It's about half the price but the 9250 has some pretty good reviews. I'm not trying to be cheap or anything, if the x1300 is considerably better then I will get that instead.

Edit: I looked at both of their product pages and the x1300 looks considerably better. Anyone have any thoughts on these cards, or others that would be good. Thanks.

Edited by Sterling14, 09 December 2006 - 10:58 PM.

#7 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

Well, of course the X1300 is going to be a lot better. But if you don't want to have to get a new power supply, you could try for the 9250.
But.. if you don't care if you have to get a new power supply.
I'd get this card. Its the same GPU (x1300) but more expensive..you get what you pay for.. and a 5/5 review.
(Note: AoD does not support PCI cards. his thoughts are for upgrading the entire computer)

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 09 December 2006 - 11:32 PM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

I probably should of mentioned, I asked on the Dell forum and they said my power supply will expand to almost 350 watts, so I'm fine. I think I'll stick with the the x1300 I put, just because its almost 50$ cheaper (after mail in rebate), and I've seen better PCIex16 cards for around the prices of that one you mentioned Archer. I'm not planning on playing battlefield 2142 or anything, just playing some games maybe from around 04-05 until I can save for a good computer. Thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users