Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition "f" On Notebook Hdd/ How To Remove?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

First I am not techie oriented.
I am planning on using Acronis True Image Version 9 after numerous threads in forums and because of the cost of getting my notebook Ghosted via a software techie with Ghost from the Systemworks Premier 2005. The cost of getting the better halfs and mine ghosted was costing $150 per month and he is increasing the cost.

He advised that for us to do the Ghost ourselves competently is a difficult task.
It usually takes about and hr and a half to complete a complet backup.
It is on our Western Digital 160 gig external HDD.

We now have purchased a 300 gig Maxtor one Touch which we want to use the AIT with, however we both have partitions on our notebooks, "F" which contains the Ghost program; at least that is what I understood.

What I wondered is how do I remove the Partition or is it something that I should have an expert do??

When the Ghost was done it was a full backup and not incremental and that is what I plan on doing with ATI and the reason for the change to that program is that I understand the user friendliness is much better than Ghost.
Thus I decided to do a post here and get expert opinions.

I look forward to comments, thankyou for your time.

The OS, is XP sp2, 60 gigs, 1.8 ghz pentium 4, mobile processor toshiba 2410
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:07 AM

I don't use Ghost, but there's plenty of members here who do. They state that it's easy to use.

I've grown accustomed to Acronis True Image and I like it's features.

Leave the Ghost stuff alone for now. It'll help to have a safety net while learning to use Acronis.

Just install the Acronis software, select the drive to image (your boot/os drive) and then select the 300 gB drive as the destination and let it run. In my experience the process takes about hour to do (a lot depends on the size of your hard drive).

Once the initial image is made, then you can make another and start adding to it incrementally. That way you've got a backup to the backup.

The key to any backup (or image) is a trial reinstall of the image to see if it works. Without that, you're completely trusting the software to work flawlessly - not a good idea. Once you've verified it, then the image is safe to store. Then you can work with the incrementals with an increased awareness of the abilities of the program.

Edited by usasma, 09 December 2006 - 12:10 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users