Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ghaleon

Ghaleon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hi, im new to the boards and ive been having problems with my computer running slow. There is no maleware or viruses on it as of now, I keep it clean by running Ewido/AVS, Spybot, adaware and regclean everyday... I was wondering which programs under processes could I safely shut down to speed things up and I also use Firefox so could I shut down IE???

heres a list of what is running right now (IE isnt on it because I had to use it ealier and it crashed)

Ive got my Virtual Memory settings set to show largest to smallest useage per program

firefox.exe
limewire.exe
AVGAS.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
msnmsgr.exe
YahooMessenger
EXPLORER.EXE
SnapDetect.exe
SVCHOST.EXE
GUARD.EXE
EasyShare.exe
WINLOGON.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
LSASS.EXE
ReminderApp.exe
SVCHOST.EXE
Google Toolbar Notifier.exe
POINT32.EXE
CTHELPER.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
NMSSvc.Exe
SVCHOST.EXE
CSRSS.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
WDFMGR.EXE
taskmgr.exe
alg.exe
realsched.exe
opwareSE2.exe
QTTASK.EXE
LEXBCES.EXE
wscntfy.exe
JUSCHED.EXE
MsPMSPSv.exe
CTsvcCDA.EXE
ScsiAccess.EXE
SMSS.EXE
System
System Idle Process

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

There's a good part to this forum HERE that will help you to decide what should start when your computer starts.

Just off the top of my head, I'll highlight a few things that I feel could be safely removed from the startup list (using MSCONFIG, get there by going to Start>Run, then type in "msconfig" without the quotes, then click on the startup tab, search for the things in the startup tab in that first link I provided and then decide whether or not you need those programs to start when windows starts.....the more things that start when windows starts means slower startup times and slower running programs)...

firefox.exe
limewire.exe Limewire, no need to start when windows starts (Beware P2P services!)
AVGAS.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
msnmsgr.exe MSN Messenger, no need to start when windows starts.
YahooMessenger Yahoo Messenger, no need to start when windows starts.
EXPLORER.EXE
SnapDetect.exe
SVCHOST.EXE
GUARD.EXE
EasyShare.exe Kodak software of some sort...you can start this manually, just start it before you plug in your camera or use Kodak software.
WINLOGON.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
LSASS.EXE
ReminderApp.exe
SVCHOST.EXE
Google Toolbar Notifier.exe What is google notifying you about? Do you need this to start when windows starts? (up to you whether you want this running all the time or not)
POINT32.EXE
CTHELPER.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
NMSSvc.Exe
SVCHOST.EXE
CSRSS.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
WDFMGR.EXE
taskmgr.exe
alg.exe
realsched.exe Real player, no need to start when windows starts
opwareSE2.exe
QTTASK.EXE Quick Time, no need to start when windows starts
LEXBCES.EXE
wscntfy.exe
JUSCHED.EXE Java auto updater, no need to start when windows starts
MsPMSPSv.exe
CTsvcCDA.EXE
ScsiAccess.EXE
SMSS.EXE
System
System Idle Process

These are just off the top of my head, but I have disabled these before and had no adverse reactions.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

Hi Ghaleon

I notice that you use RegClean regularly. Overcleaning the registry by any means can cause a meltdown of your system and is not recommended, especially with 3rd party programmes. Your registry will work fine with a lot of stray stuff left in it and a cleanup should only be done occasionally. (Our knowledgable USAMSA recommends only a couple of times a year).

A recommended way of keeping your system up to scratch is with MS Windows Live OneCare Scan. You can find it HERE. Only click on FULL SERVICE SCAN in the middle of the page. The quick scan will take a few minutes, check for viruses and malware, and you can run it as often as you like. The full scan takes hours and an occasional scan will keep things running smoothly, including the registry.

Try it and see what you think, but I would strongly recommend that you stay away from other registry cleaners.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 09 December 2006 - 07:43 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users