Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Wd 250gb External Hd Is Clicking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madriel

madriel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

Ok, so i plug in my western digital 250gb external hard-drive.... as much as I hate to say it *sigh* slammed into the floor from a height of two feet.

Now when i plug her in and turn her on she makes this Horrid clicking noise at me.

i think it's the arm on the drive...

and I'm terrified it's broken. I recently moved and I took everything on the previous (all mine) computer and had put it on this so I could have ALL my music, my images, my programs... everything with me.

Now when I plug her in she clicks, the computer reconizes her as software and installs accordingly. I can find her in device managers (misnus her name and information [size & things of that sort]) but she won't load into the My Computer menu so I can access her files.

I don't know what to do... I'm terrified of freezing her because there might be a way to save it.

I would love to crack the casing open (soild plastic wrap) and see if i can help her in someway (the drive isn't as important as the files on it) and because of the deal with it having my PERSONAL information on it (yes i know bad idea.. I'm getting that RIGHT NOW as I think of it so please don't rip into me for that.) I don't know if it would even be a good idea to take it to someone. I've already had my iPod stolen this year I don't need something else taken from me too.

Any advice, anything at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

Clicking noise is a bad bad sign. :thumbsup:

If this is XP you can load up Disk Management and see what the disk and partition information looks like. That's at Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

What you'll likely see in there is the disk on the lower pane, but either no partition information for it, or an unformatted partition. If you see that it's possible that you could use a software data recovery tool to get the data, depending on how cooperative the drive is, of course.

TestDisk is a good free software tool for recovering lost partition info.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

This is a good guide to a bunch of freeware data recovery programs.
http://www.hiren.info/downloads.php/data-r...ry/hard-drive/1

Of the commercial programs I've had good experience with GetDataBack as a Windows-based recovery utility.
http://www.runtime.org
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

I use GetDataBack also - expensive but worth it. Nearly as powerful, but a bit more confusing (but free!) is PCInspector: http://www.pcinspector.de/

If it's clicking, it's getting ready to die. The more that you use it, the quicker it will die.

There are data recovery options out there - but they're expensive! Data recovery in a clean room runs from $800 to $1800 (I priced this last year for an 80 gB W-D).

Taking it apart will just succeed in contaminating the platters, making it that much harder to recovery the data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 madriel

madriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

Replies! Oh Thank you guys so very much for trying to help me with my prolbem ^_^ I really appericate it.

Unfortunatly, I supposed I screwed it hard cause not even though wonderful programs work (thank you for the links, i am defently saving these programs for later <3)

I'm going to try taking it to a friend of mine that builds computer hardware for a living...

But I just wanted to tell you guys what happened, and how much I appericate the help <3 Thank you Usasama and Arcman

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

No problemo.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users