Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had To Failsafe Bios After A Virus, Got It Working And Back To Normal But...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzybro

Dizzybro

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

it could a few days ago. but i had to mess with the bios to failsafe to make it work again cause a virus messed it up. where is the so called "autodectect" roms area?

also

there is a little red light next to my ram. whats taht mean!?

also
i now notice on startup a grey bar appears and loads on the bottom before the windows logo shows up...

Mod Edit: Removed bad language. 'DT

Edited by D-Trojanator, 08 December 2006 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

Taken from the rules of the forum boards located HERE:

There will be no use of profanity on our message boards. This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension.

Please try to refrain from using profanity, as it is against the forum rules, and there are "minors" (young children/teenagers) whom read this board. We try our best to keep this board family oriented! :flowers:

When you say you got a virus, how did you know you got it? Did your anti-virus catch it, or did the virus do damage to your system? Also, how did you rid your system of the virus? Did you let the AV get rid of it, did you have to manually remove it, or did you have to reformat your machine (if you reformatted, did you "wipe" the hard drive?)?

Loading failsafe defaults in the BIOS isn't all that bad of a thing, really. I've had to do it more than once on more than one machine and it never really seemed to damage or corrupt anything. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

i was using a portable spyware doctor to check for spyware, but when it started up it guess it was infected. so to clean it i went into safe mode and removed the info. (and since it is portable, the registry info was gone on startup)

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

Was this portable spyware doctor run from a CD?

Go into your control panel, click on "system", then click the hardware tab, then click on "Device Manager". Check to see if there are any exclamation points next to anything. If there are, please tell me exactly what they're next too.

Oh, and the light next to your ram is probably just a light on the motherboard to indicate if the board has power or not. Not a big deal :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

k well, i have checked the device manager and there are no ! points. and the cdroms dont even show up in there.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:29 PM

:thumbsup: Really? Wow....that's odd that the optical drives don't show up....have you had your case open recently? If so, check the connections in there to ensure that everything is connected and seated properly. If that doesn't work, then we'll try checking for a virus and things of that sort.
Posted Image

#7 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

hmmm
will try it. i have indeed already unpluged, and repluged in everything. they open and stuff still too.

scanning for a virus in a sec here

#8 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:53 AM

no virus's

tried registry mechanic on it. 200 errors found, fixed em - still no cdroms

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

1) Make sure that your system is actually clean - try this free scan: http://safety.live.com/

2) Check your BIOS to ensure that the drives are recognized and enabled there.
3) Visit Windows Update
4) Try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

1) Make sure that your system is actually clean - try this free scan: http://safety.live.com/

2) Check your BIOS to ensure that the drives are recognized and enabled there.
3) Visit Windows Update
4) Try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers.

i dont know what it would look like in the bios to say they're enabled...can i have a screenshot of it pls?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

Please inform us of the exact make and model of your system - also include any additional devices that you have added since purchasing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

OK NEW INFO;
i was messing with the bios. and after turning the HD reset button on, when i booted it would reboot before the login screen appeared (like the first time.)

so i must still have it, and it only works if the HD reset button is activated. however i cant see my cd's. so i need to know how to remove it.

I also tested a few new things too.
i used different wiring to reconnect the cdroms. - nothing
i used a different cdrom - nothing

also. i can boot into safe mode with the reset button enabled...so its something that is like a startup item (doesnt' appear in msconfig's startup area)
and starts before the login screen.

any ideas?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:47 PM

Please inform us of the exact make and model of your system - also include any additional devices that you have added since purchasing it.

#14 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

ergh....windows xp pro sp2....ummm mother board is a

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Elitegroup-Soc...-www.google.com

Eliete group P6IWP-Fe

anything else?

added after purchasing...well letsee....been 7 years now...5 years ago we got the 2nd cdrom drive (burner)

#15 Dizzybro

Dizzybro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/P6IWP-Fe/get17126.html

would this help me at all either?
i donno if just updating would stop the virus or w/e that norton cant detect

0 user(s) are reading this topic