Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost Quadtripled And Software Distribution Service Killing Me?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MystyDeb

MystyDeb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

My laptop is choking to death. It started wheezing with internet explorer, but now it has full blown internal pneumonia.

I haven't gone through the advice in the slow computer guide yet but did run disk cleanup and defrag.
I took a look at my running processes and found 4 sets of svchost running. Checking into Google, I found some thoughts that this may be happening each time I run antivirus software. Unfortunately, MS doesnt tell you what to do (unless you would like to call their help desk to get the hotfix).
Any ideas?

Note: Since this post I did find the svchost article on BC...Thanks! Wonder why MS has the article saying it is due to virus scans?

Also: I found software distribution service on my restore point recently. I have seen some articles claiming this to be bad news.

So...are these the culprits? How do I deal with them?

Deb

( is this the appropriate place for this topic? )

Edited by MystyDeb, 07 December 2006 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

Hi MystyDeb.

You have probably figured out by now that svchost is usually a legitimate generic name for some of the services running on your machine. My machine is running 6 at this moment.

If they are being run by SERVICES or similar (in capital letters) they are probably legitimate and no worry. If there are different instances running, then they will need further investigation.

Let us know what you find. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users