Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Utilization 100% By Fahcore_82.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luke_Phx

Luke_Phx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have a system that suddenly has a process running away with the CPU. fahcore_82.exe.
I have not seen any clear information on what this process is or does.

Have been running Norton Internet Security, Spyware Blaster, SpyBot Search & Destry, Adaware, all updates, etc. It's a friends system and although she says she didnt' install anything on it since I was last here (a week or so )...

Any ideas out there...

They system did have a bunch of Adware and Spybots on it which I cleaned up with Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. System has been up to date with Norton Defs but is scanning now (never scanned before but has been up to date)...

Not sure what this process is, why its running or why it sucks up all CPU....

Thanks
System: P4 3400 Mhz, 1-GB memory(kingston 3200), Antec Power supply, Windows XP Pro SP2 (all maintenance)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

Everything I can find on it seems to be a version of the Folding @ Home app.
Here is one link regarding the specific .exe http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-124717.html
And here is a link talking about Folding @ Home in general: http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

Also a thread about it here at Bleeping Computer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1364/foldinghome-distributed-computing-at-its-best/

Be (F@H) Safe
Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

Hi Luke Phx.

I guess by now you have read that Folding@Home is a distributed computing program where 1000s of computers all do a little bit to solve the mysteries of various diseases.

If your friend did not install this, you can simply remove it via Control Panel>Add/Remove programs. It is a soft program in that it uses the amount of CPU set in the Advanced tab of its control panel, and fades into the background when resources are required for other uses.

I have it running 24/7 on my computer with a setting of 50% but it varies a lot. I access the control panel by right clicking on the red gear icon in the system tray, and choose 'Configure'.

Let us know how you get on please.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Luke_Phx

Luke_Phx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for all your input. I did discover VNC was running. I uninstalled it. Upon the first post about folding, I disengaged all Internet access remotely for the LAN so nothing can be done. It seems that someone installed (probably remotely) VNC and then folding. It was using 100% of the CPU. I did not see anything specific related to an application actively running other than the CPU drain. I'll have to investigate tomorrow at the location. They system was running Norton Internet Security and there is a secure firewall in place on the LAN (I just updated the firmware and checked all security). So, how "they" managed to evade only one system and run Fold and VNC is going to be interesting to discover.

Thanks again!

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:48 AM

Very interesting, and also disturbing. You may want to run the SHIELDS UP tester from Gibson Research to see how secure the sytem is. If you are not familiar with it, these are the 'good guys' who will check any pc for vulnerabilities (for free).

Good luck and look forward to hearing from you later.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users